1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

best way to euthanize birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by torka, Dec 8, 2010.

1. torka

torka Member

looking for the best way to off some of my pheasants with the least amount of damage.

2. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Do a search on this topic and you will find all you need.

3. Saturate a small cloth with ammonia and hold that over the beak and nasal passages till tweety is night night.!

4. roostinridge

roostinridge Active Member

You can use a syringe and inject a slight amount of air or alcahal directly into the brain through the back of the head. It is real quick.

5. a needle in the brains, from behind, that does it quick; not much pain no big damage ;)
    when you skin it don't forget to wash the bloody feathers there...if it dries it will tear the skin when you'll invert it over the head ::)

6. hambone

hambone Member

I've never tried the needle method, sounds interesting, where do you insert the needle, doesn"t seem likely you"d go through the skull with a needle.

7. Try wrapping the bird tightly in a towel ,take a 110 electric cord with alligator clips on each end, place one end on the beak and the other on the edge of it's rear end , remove your hands from the bird on your bench and plug it in.Quick,Humane ,and no Damage to the bird .Good Luck
    Slammer53

8. This is the method that I found works best for me, but I put one alligator clip on the beak and the other on it's foot. I was using the needle to the head until I tried this.

9. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I've used the power cord and 'gator clips with good results. I used a outlet strip with GFI. seemed like a good idea and gives you a switch as well. I usually ask "Now Warden ????" before zappin' them.

10. Large needle into the brain cavity. I like air so I can eat the bird.

11. Hello All ,the alligator clips on the extension cord also works well for snapping turtles .For those of us that have cleaned a snapper have most likely found that other methods of kill then cause there muscles to tighten up making it difficult to butcher , after electrocution there muscles are relaxed making it simple to cut them up .Hope this helps.
    Slammer53

12. the correct place to do this is where the spine meets the skull, just above the joint

-i buyed 25 pheasants from a pheasant farm, to mount and sell (yes it is legal!)...but of course if possible to keep the meat
    -so i used the needle from a tool knife, a little bigger than a sewing needle, makes a 3 mm hole in the back of the head (easy to sew and hide), pheasant dies in 15-20 seconds. So i had them all in my car in 10 minutes, all quiet and nice
    -in the field, when hunting, the quickest way is with a primary feather

13. hntr78

hntr78 New Member

How long do you shock them for just a quick zap or does it take a few seconds?

14. For birds it takes just a minute or so ,for the turtles it takes 3 or 4 minutes
    Good luck

15. idbatman

idbatman Active Member

Personally .... I like the 12 GA !!!

16. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

When I electrocute turkeys I give them 10 seconds. I imagine that should work for pheasants, too.

17. Gobblingfever

Gobblingfever 100% PEER GOBBLER ADDICTION!!!!

ZAP. Electricity

18. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

Milo, what are saying when you said to use a primary feather? i'm lost.

19. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I use a chunk of dry ice, a bucket, and a box. I can't be bothered to mess around with needles and would electrocute myself if I tried to go electric.

Put a huge duck out that way in under a minuet.

20. dustponds10

dustponds10 New Member

Icarus, I am interested in more details on how you do this with dry ice. What is your process? I was thinking I would go about doing this with the needle but I am intrigued by this dry ice bucket and box method. Can you do multiple birds this way? Also would the meat still be good?