1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

jeff foiles arrested

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by fireduck, Dec 10, 2010.

1. fireduck

fireduck Member

found this article today. sad day for jeff foiles fan. I.m not but like his video. but if this true then he deserves it i guess.

Foiles, one of the best-known professional duck hunters and callers in the United States, has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Springfield on 23 counts connected to alleged illegal waterfowl hunts.

From 2003 to 2007, according to the indictment, Foiles, 53, of Pleasant Hill, sold guided waterfowl hunts where hunters regularly violated daily bag limits of ducks and geese. The hunts took place at the Fallin Skies Strait Meat Duck Club in Pike County, the indictment says.

Foiles, one of two owners of the Strait Meat club, guided commercial waterfowl hunts at the club and elsewhere, including Canada, the indictment says.

Some of the allegedly illegal hunts subsequently were shown in videos featuring Foiles, including the “Fallin Skies” video series. Foiles had sponsorship arrangements with sporting goods companies that paid him to use their products in his videos, the indictment says.

“The killing of migratory birds in excess of daily bag limits … was crucial to achieving these purposes,” the indictment says. “Not only were guided clients able to kill more birds during their paid hunts, but the overlimits also allowed Foiles and his employees to capture more and better-quality hunting video footage, and thus to produce and sell high-quality commercial waterfowl hunting videos, which was a very important component of Foiles’ promotional activities.”

In one Canada hunt, the indictment says, a cameraman, “upset at the number of geese being killed,” turned off his camera, but Foiles ordered him to continue filming. The footage later appeared in the video “Fallin Skies 1,” authorities said.

Undercover officers participated in four of the hunts for which Foiles is charged, according to the indictment.

Foiles and his associates also allegedly falsified hunting records, creating false game custody tags, waterfowl hunting area records and “picking shed” records at the club in order to conceal the excesses. In some cases, staff members reported that birds had been killed by people who hadn’t hunted or weren’t even at the club on the day in question, the indictment says.

Foiles also operates Foiles Migrators Inc. in Pittsfield, which has a retail business and showroom as well as an assembly and distribution facility for Foiles’ own popular line of duck and goose calls.

Foiles is formally accused of 12 violations of the Lacey Act and 10 counts of making false writings in a matter within the jurisdiction of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as well as conspiracy to violate both laws.

The Lacey Act makes it illegal to knowingly transport or sell wildlife taken in violation of federal law or regulation. The act also covers guide services conducted for the illegal taking of wildlife.

The maximum penalty for a felony violation of the Lacey Act or the federal false writing statute includes up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The government also is seeking forfeiture of property used in the hunts, including 13 Benelli shotguns, two Arctic Cat ATVs and duck and goose decoys.

Foiles is to appear in federal court in Springfield for arraignment Jan. 19.

The case was investigated by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, in cooperation with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, and the government of Canada. The Justice Department’s Environmental Crimes Section also is part of the prosecution.

Chris Dettro can be reached at 788-1510.

2. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

WOW!!

3. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

wonder if he's related to Noel Feather...

4. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

What an idiot!

5. bowkill

bowkill New Member

That's crazy some people have it all and it isn't enough if its true and he's guilty I hope they stick it to him. How stupid do you have to be a client is eventually going to have a conscience and turn him in

6. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

were can i find more info about this i heard he got in trouble a couple years ago

7. CR

CR New Member

Any hunter that thinks hes above the law like that i hope gets the biggest fine available. Those birds are ALL OF OURS. Take what is lawfully yours, and let the others go for other hunters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hes not a sportsman, hes a killer

8. cheapguy

cheapguy New Member

Well, at least he dosent have to be in court till after goose season!

9. copper

copper Active Member

go to duckhunter.net, refuge forums, plenty to read

10. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

That's called.......

That is called a POACHER !

Hope he gets black balled everywhere after this.

Hang 'em high!

Kerby...

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

AMEN!!!!!!!

12. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Wow ... there must be close to a dozen threads about this stuff over on the refuge forums.
    'Looks like the feds have been watching him since at least 2003. I hate this kind of thing because it makes all hunters look bad.

I call him a poacher.

13. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

Some people are just morons. I only poachers would get fines, so large that it would really make people think of not even trying it. A base find for game killed, and maybe add more based on your income, say 20%. That way the rich boys tagged more. As stands how poacher (A) only earns $25,000. is fined $1,000. it hurts him more than the guys earning $200,000 with same $1,000 fine.

14. mnhunter

mnhunter New Member

Thank god no one is defending him on this forum! haha

15. K Kave

K Kave Member

Its unreal what people will do if this is true he should get whats coming to him.

16. tim martin

tim martin New Member

Hope he gets the max! He is not providing a very good example for the kids that are involved in waterfowl hunting! What a jerk.

17. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

All these ass wipes think their above the law...Let him meet Bubba.. :D

18. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    Thats horrible for hunters period...this stuff makes me sick to hear. Greed makes man do a lot of things and also makes man lose everything. Let him sit in a jail and think about it, poaching isn't cool.

I don't know about some other peoples opinion but I always wonder how many others do this same sort of stuff and don't get caught.

19. djhearn24

djhearn24 New Member

So he is the link to actual 25 page indictmant Against Foiles.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/media/Indictment.pdf

20. Mac67

Mac67 New Member

The condemnation of this guy and the obvious hunter ethics being displayed by the members here is why I like this forum. There are too many people on the refuge board who want to kill everything that moves, regardless of the law or the consequences to other hunters.