1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first sika

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by derhntr, Dec 12, 2010.

1. derhntr

derhntr Member

I got in my first Sika yesterday. After skinning it I measured the neck tight behind the ears and got 11 inches, 14, 3 inches down.
    As I was looking at it, something didn't seem right so I measured the skin and got 14 inches tight behind the ears. I remeasured it to make sure I wasn't messin up.

So know I have two different measurements, 11inches tight and 14 three inches down(neck measurement.
    And 14 inches and 16 inches measurement by the skin, mind you I did not stretch the skin.
    So I am alittle confused as which one would be the best measurement to go by.
    Any suggestions.

Thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Yes, order the form after you tan and stretch it out to the actual true final size.

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I always go by the meat measurement, if I have that option. You are replacing meat. Whether you tried stretching the skin out or not it will still stretch as you are skinning it

4. From your measurements sounds like a Maryland Sika. Sika have extremely thick skin around thier neck, I have seen some that had skin around 3/8 inch thick. After you tan and thin your skin you will be able to use a form larger than the meat measurement.

5. derhntr

derhntr Member

Chesapeake, not from Maryland but darn close, Eastern Shore.

Thanks for the opinions. Will remeasure after tanning.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Are you tanning it or sending it out? Either way, make SURE you're shaving that neck down thin before measuring. You're going to find a very limited number of forms for the Maryland or Japanese sika and your 11 inch sounds about normal.

7. derhntr

derhntr Member

Tanning myself, and am going to do the final measure after shaving. Yes forms are limited.

Thanks

8. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yes, your forms will be limited, but you are not going to get the stretch out of a Sika like you are a wt, even with that thick neck skin shaved down well. They stretch like an antelope skin, very little if any. I use meat measurements when I can, you can't go wrong with that.