1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fox manikin problem?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by mbj306, Dec 12, 2010.

1. mbj306

mbj306 Member

I have a very particular customer who only wants a sitting fox. I have ordered the manikin that he wanted with the turns just the way he wanted. The problem is that there is only one size of this pose. The fox is a huge male that does not fit at all. Not only in the body but the face as well. So to the experts on foxes and manikins I pose the question:

What do you do in this case?

2. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

LMAO this taxidermy 101, you are gonna have to slice and dice the manikin and alter it lol. Or you are gonna have to carcass cast or carve a form. Either way your gonna have to buy 2 part form best of luck to ya

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Amen!

John.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Make the form fit the skin,, we do it everyday.

Here is how,, ( I hope you didnt charge a rock bottom basement price to do that fox.)

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,226437.0.html

5. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Don't let these guys fool you we get on the critter exchange and we find someone that needs a fox in the size we got and trade if for a fox in the size we need.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So who would want a huge fox that no form is made for? ;) ;D ;D

7. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

they make forms for them just not in that pose you have to wait till someone one needs one for a pose it will fit. Geesh why do you think taxidermist quote up to a yr on stuff.??? These things take time ya know.

8. victorvan13

victorvan13 New Member

just drape the dang thing over it and call it good ;D

9. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

LMAO

10. Yeh, that makes sense. Get rid of the customer's trophy and replace it with something that fits the form that you buy.
    Why not be a taxidermist and alter the manikin to fit the animal. It's part of the job. Naaaaah, on second thought, just Hacksidermist it. Yeh, that's the ticket.

11. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

If you have to ask that question.... "What do you do in this case ?"

You are obviously not a problem solver... which is a must, to get anywhere in this business..

Your best bet here is to give the "trophy" fox and deposit money back to the person that gave it to you, tell them that you are in way over your head with this project..

12. Hey mbj306,, give Knapton Studios a try, they have a few forms there that might work for you.

13. Jim Kimball

Jim Kimball New Member

Yep, Knapton does have a nice big one in a setting position

14. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Doug, Harley was just being sarcastic with his comment lol.