1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need some input on a screw up

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, Dec 13, 2010.

1. A taxidermist that brings me all his work got this deer in that was still in velvet in Dec. This Buck had an 11" base on one side and 12" on the other!!!! The burrs were actually growing into the eyes. So the customer wants it euro'd and the antlers freeze dried. Well the taxidemist cut the antlers off with the skull plate and says im not sure how your gonna keep the bugs off the antlers to get this skull plate clean. And i dont know how your gonna degrease it after its been freeze dried!!! So any suggestions??? I dont wanna say you screwed it up, you fix it it cuz he brings me a ton of work. What can i do to clean and degrease the skull cap??? I was thinking of still cutting the antlers off and going from there.

2. Is he mounting it?

Then just get it freeze dried and wire brush the skullplate clean before you mount.

Otherwise... if its going on an artificial skull you are gonna have to cut the antlers off just below the burr and reattach.

3. No he wants it euro'd with the original skull. I have no idea why he cut out the skull plate.

4. Do it as you were going to. Just saying something like "Dont worry about cutting it up next time, I'll do that part and make it a lil easier on ya". I do that for people who press with their full weight to skin heads, lol.

5. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Either way you are going to need to cut off the antlers below burr and freeze dry. If skill is not salvageable then get another skull and saw those antlers off and reattach the original to the donor skull. I dont see how you are going to take the skull plate and put back on the cut skull and have it look right, not to mention the time for a decent to attempt. or a reproduction. Your taxi should know better!! ???

6. Dermestid Guy

Dermestid Guy New Member

I know this will be a lot of extra work but you could cover the antlers with aluminum foil then wrap with saran wrap. Then place packing tape at the base of each antler and this not allow the beetles to eat the velvet. Watch closely and pull it out as soon as you see everything cleaned off the cap. As for the degrease stage, leave the above on the antlers and cover a little ways up the antlers and seal the end around the burrs with Seal-N-Peal. All will come right off. As for as putting the two back together that would be up to the taxi, as he has some plan I hope.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Clean and whiten the skull, freeze dry the antlers, and re-attach to the clean skull. You will have some epoxy work and coloring, but it's not a tough fix. I've done replica euros using the whole skull plate and they looked fine. I couldn't see the seam, so I was sure my customer wouldn't find it.

Dale Loescher likes this.