1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hot glue for setting pronghorn horns?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by coyotekiller70, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Any one ever use hot glue for setting pronghorn horns back on euro. thank you for your input.

2. Bone Heads

Bone Heads Kristen M. Armenia

Hot glue is an unreliable adhesive.

3. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    I know the whole arguement about Bondo being an adhesive or not, but that's what I use. Don't think I'd rely on hot glue.

4. Bondo for me too

5. Magic Smooth worked well for me. Can be a bit messy though.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hot glue is simply melted plastic and when it hardens, it is NOT going to hold a sheath to a core for long. Use any of the paste epoxies (Magic Smooth is a good one). The liquid epoxies don't give you enough surface to be as trustworthy as the pastes. As for Bondo, some people just take longer than others to find out that the fiberglass is similar to the hot glue. When it cures, it disbonds without some "tooth" for it to adhere to. If they get damp or dry out, the Bondo will disbond and the sheath WILL fall off the core.

7. thank you for your help, where is the best place to find magic smooth? thanks again for your help.

8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I recently used Roman 555 hide paste for the sheaths on some speed goats. You couldn't pull them off with a truck and anything that squishes out wipes off nicely

9. RockinR

RockinR Member

I have used construction adhesive in the past and never had a problem with them coming off!