1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New guy has questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by fl honky, Dec 14, 2010.

1. fl honky

fl honky New Member

I recently shot a nice coyote and i have him skinned out to tan him. I would like to tan him myself and i think i have the basics of it figured out but i have a few questions about some of the process. 1st, do i need to do anything with to the ears and nose before the tanning process? Is a fur stretcher required for tanning if i am not going to sell the fur? i will probably "practice" on some raccoons first so i can get comfortable with everything and i dont mess up my beautiful coyote pelt. any help is greatly appreciated!

2. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

Yes u will need to turn the ears as far as u can to the edges and trim down the nose as much as u can. Never leave any meat. If not u will have hair fall out. The Stretcher will note be needed if u r trying to do a flat skin. U will have to work it a lot after it drys to break the skin fibers back lose. Look in Van Dykes they have some kits that will give u every thing u need to tan one with. And a paper tailing u what steps to do. Good luck.