1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

300 year old stag mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by kinetic, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kinetic

kinetic New Member

I thought this was neat and wanted to share.

copied from: http://www.ravishingbeasts.com/ravishingbeasts/2010/11/15/the-oldest-stag-in-the-world.html

[​IMG]

What's that, you say? It could be the oldest taxidermied deer in the world on display at the Danish Museum of Hunting and Forestry in Hørsholm. The stag is apparently over 300 years old and was owned/killed? by King Frederik IV (1671-1730). Crazier still, researchers have x-rayed the ancient beast to determine exactly how it was put together. The answer? A ridiculous number of pins.

[​IMG]

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Wow that is old. And pretty interesting.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

He must have shot it post rut,,, it looks run down. lol

5. Tom Cruickshank

Tom Cruickshank The History Channel says I'm "creepy"!!

The left ear looks "off"......

6. intresting

7. That's an incredible piece of taxidermy history. A relic of days gone by, in the purest sense. Thanks for sharing it, wishing you well, stargazer.

8. tt

tt Licensed Taxidermist,Hunter,Trapper,and Fur Bearer

tan job lasted a long time....Wonder if they used Krowtann ;D

9. skinner26

skinner26 Active Member

That is amaxing. I am with u TT.
    300 years old and some people today cant even mount a deer that will last 10 years now.
    I would shour like to know what they did to the hide.

10. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    [​IMG]

These are not really "a ridiculous number of pins" used in mounting the skin. ;) Instead, these are small nails - "brads" - that were first driven about halfway in all around the wooden centerboard that was used. Look carefully. you can see they used a centerboard in the body, neck, upper arms and legs, as well as the front part of the skull ... pretty standard procedure for its time. ;)

Now ... wood wool/excelsior, or straw, or grass, or whatever was used was laid onto one side of the centerboard - be it the torso, neck upper legs, face - and twine was run back and forth from one set of nails over the filler to the other set of nails, back and forth, to and fro, on both sides of the centerboard. This was repeated until the desired dimensions were achieved. There wasn't much concern for measurements in those days ... just "fill it out" was the order of the day.

When the dimensions were "right" all those rows of nails were hammered down flush ... leaving - you guessed it - "a ridiculous number of pins". Notice they are around the perimeter of the mount, and no where else. If there were any more, they would have shown up in the X-Rays.

Regardless, this is a FANTASTIC piece of Taxidermic History! Thank you so much for posting the images! ;D

John.

11. tmoos111

tmoos111 Member

Great post! very interesting!

12. ty for sharing very cool...

13. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I wonder if they're going to do a remount...

Kidding ;D That is pretty wicked though.

14. Is this some of Georges early work ;D

15. I wonder how or if they tanned it, had to have preserved it somehow to make it last so long

16. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The main reasons trophy taxidermy is NOT considered FINE art is because of it short history and the fact that it degrades so fast. Thanks for posting!

17. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

WOW!! That is cool!!

18. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey James,

Beautiful piece! Can you post a larger shot of it?

John.

19. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Thanks John. [​IMG] Edition of 15, So far 9 have been sold.

20. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

You are a true all around artist!