1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

300 year old stag mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by kinetic, Dec 19, 2010.

1. kinetic

kinetic New Member

James, do you have any work in Jackson Hole? I go there yearly (leaving in a few days in fact) to visit family and there's a few galleries there I like to visit with wildlife bronzes.

but while I agree trophy taxidermy isn't fine art, I'd disagree with your reasoning. There are new art genres popping up all the time, and some work can be made to degrade quickly like ice or environmental work.

2. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Thanks. I have bronzes in the Ciao gallery in Jackson. http://ciaogallery.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=75&zenid=e08dd6ebb6b5504ff0bc6aa529943684 What I am saying about taxidermy is what I believe the general public and 99.9% of all galleries and auction houses think about taxidermy. I know taxidermy can be fine art and most of us taxidermists know that but generally speaking lets admit lots if not most taxidermy is produced as cheap and as fast as it can be and most taxidermy most people come in contact with look at it as junk because unfortunately it most probably looks like cheaply made falling apart junk. Even great mounts in museums and personal collections are not seen as works of art that an artist made but as a deer, or whatever animal mount or just the personal trophy of a hunter. Rarely if ever is the taxidermist of some great trophy expertly mounted on a hunting magazine cover mentioned, only the hunter or the score of the rack. There is a place in the Jackson town square that sells taxidermy and has a falling apart elk mount at the outside of the front door. Most of the taxidermy for sale inside for sale is junk. They seem to be selling it like hotcakes. No taxidermy will be found in any of the upscale galleries and the artists that also did or do taxidermy in that show in those galleries like Kent Ullberg and Ken Bunn don't mention taxidermy in their bios. Thats what I am talking about. I love to ice sculpt and do so every winter in downtown Cody. About five of us area sculptors work all day on our sculptures while talking to people that watch us and most years by the second or third day at most all the sculptures are tipped over and smashed by vandals. Oh well, its still fun.

3. rigbobby

rigbobby Active Member

Did they have pins, excelisior, string, boards, metal rods and tanning chemicals 300 years ago? I wonder if the storage room it was in had humidity control? I have heard that taxidermy was not done before the late 1800's. So now we have a mount from 1700 or so. Wow.

4. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The Egyptians were mummifying cats and dogs thousands of years ago that can be still seen in museums today.

5. Guerra

Guerra New Member

I wonder if the historians have the name of the Taxidermist who did it. That would be cool to know.