1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rehydrate mounted deer

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by GC424, Dec 19, 2010.

1. GC424

GC424 New Member

I have mounted some of my own deer using DP. Thought they looked OK until i started reading and leaning on here what they should really look like.( WHAT A MESS ) Eventually going to have to get new capes and remount them. My question is can i rehydrate and reposition the face features such as eyes,eye rotation, ear butt position, clay removal from butts, , lip placement etc. I want to practice repair and finish work on these before i remount them. How would i go about re-hydrating and would i rehydrate just the part i am working on or could i rehydrate the whole head and work on everything.

Thanks for replies, Greg

2. striker12

striker12 Member

not sure about a DP cape you can do one spot at a time with a tanned cape or even the hole thing at once. there are a lot of guys that would able to give you the best answer on DP. Michael p comes to mind as one i would ask he knows a lot about it . good luck

3. ireland84

ireland84 Member

I have rehydrated a hide when using DP. I recently had a mount that was dry and I noticed the front lip area and nose didn't look exactly right. I spayed the area with water and wrapped the nose and lower jaw with a wet towel. The next morning it was rehydrated and I was able to make the needed corrections. I've done this around the eyes also.

4. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    "I have mounted some of my own deer using DP. Thought they looked OK until i started reading and leaning on here what they should really look like.( WHAT A MESS )"

I have seen DP mounts that look as good as tanned mounts, depends on the taxidermist doing the work.

5. Lorn

Lorn Member

How do I rehydrate a shoulder mount and switch out antlers?
    Warm or cold water?
    How long do I leave it in water?

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Wet top of head where stitches are . Can inject with needle also . Put a wet rag in top . Put plastic bag over it to keep wet . Next day cut stitches open , unscrew rack pop out , then put a wet rag in top of head to get rest of skin hydrated. Put new rack in , screw and clay in place sew shut . I can usually get a swap out done in 1 1/2 working days and only 2 hours hands on if that .

7. Lorn

Lorn Member

Ok. Thank you

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Use a vessel large enough to accommodate the antlers. Invert the head, and fill with water up to about an inch below the eyes. You will need to place a cinder block on the chin area to keep it submerged. Leave overnight, remove the next morning, and allow the water to drip off for an hour or two. You can unzip the incision and swap out the antlers with ease. The skin will be soft and as pliable as a fresh mount. You will need to replace the ear butt clay and remodel them. They probably weren't too spiffy on the old mount. When dry, brush the clay powder out of the ears, blow off with compressed air, and re-finish. I've done this dozens of times.

Mike Powell likes this.
  9. Lorn

Lorn Member

Thanks

10. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Sorry joeym, but 13 point's method is the one I use and it is fast easy and you don't have to mess with the eyes or ears.

11. Lorn

Lorn Member

Thanks

12. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I understand, but it sure is nice to have plenty of loose pliable skin when fitting a new set of antlers.

13. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Joe you really have plenty my way , key is the wet rag after you get the old rack out .

joeym likes this.
  14. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

The difficulty is matching the pedicles under the burrs to the skin. You either have to cut the skin bigger, inconspicuously, to fit larger ones or tighten and trim for smaller ones.

GWebb likes this.
  15. crablover

crablover Well-Known Member

I would never invert a mounted head in a pail of water. Not only is it unnecessary, but why rehydrate any more hide than you need to. Glen's rag method, used by many, gives you total control of the area you need to rehydrate without effecting ear and eye detail.

tazzymoto likes this.
  16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

It's my method, and I'm sticking to it!!! I have control by limiting the time of immersion. I learned this method by dis-assembling old heads to remove the antlers. I got brave and began using it on heads that needed antler swaps. If the water level is an inch or so above the eye brow, the eyes will not be affected in an 8 hour soak.

15pt likes this.
  17. 15pt

15pt Well-Known Member

Alabama
    This

18. Clovis Point

Clovis Point Active Member

I got George to elaborate on this subject once in pm and he suggested a little shot of fabric softener to your water, especially if you live in a hard water area