1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Materials for scuplting ?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by K.M25, Dec 19, 2010.

1. K.M25

K.M25 New Member

Hello , I have been searching in this section and was reading about clay,plaster and foam.

I am new to sculpting what material would be easier to work with ? I would like to make a head bust of a dog with some neck. I am not sure if I should make it life size or not, would life size be easier than a smaller version ?

2. Manny

Manny New Member

I would rough shape in foil and armature than super sculpy for details.

3. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You want to do your sculpture with oil based modeling clay. Then you have several choices as to molding it depending upon the medium you want to use. What is it that you want the finished product for?

4. K.M25

K.M25 New Member

Hi thanks for the replies. I would like to make a mold after I have sculpted the dogs head. I was looking to get a form that was similar to what taxidermist use.
    This should have been posted in arts and crafts section ( sorry still learning where everything is on this forum) After i get the form I would like to put animal pelt on top but not from a dog , I was thinking of various animals pelts and hair to make it look realistic. I will be a solid colored dog and just the head to test out what I would come up with.

I would also like to use some of the taxidermy eyes I see available would I need to leave eye socket openings when I am sculpting ?

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

After you sculpt it in clay you would mold it with fiberglass & then cast your finished head with foam. Normally eye sockets are sculpted in. I suppose you could grind them in the foam head with a dremel tool.

6. wildthang65

wildthang65 New Member

I am looking for Justin Nagy's phone number or Nicholas Lindsay Mache products or a working phone number for this company. This is a great product but all numbers I have no longer work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. jermh1

jermh1 Member

http://www.monstermakers.com/
    Look in the sculpting media.

8. kinetic

kinetic New Member

I love their oil clay.