1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my first fish mounts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by troutfisher, Dec 22, 2010.

1. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

theese are my first fish mounts i mounted them both on 10-31-09 and just got all the paints on 12-18-10 and painted them both 12-19.the only other thing i mounted, a deer shoulder mount.i am a real beginer.

this is my crappie i picked a crappie to mount because i love to catch them and think they are a beautiful fish but i didnt know they are a hard fish to mount.

[​IMG]

another shot of the crappie

[​IMG]

this is my bass i feel a much easier skin to work with

[​IMG]

another shot

[​IMG]

and another

[​IMG]

i am very happy with the way my fish turned out i have a lot to learn but i really loved doing the whole process.
    well what do you guys think?how did i do? and any tips or pointers?

2. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    u should be proud of those, i will let the pros help u ,but 1 tip is to either burn those fin edges or make them smooth, and work on spreading them a bit more
    good job

3. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

thanks jason the fins do look a bit down i'll try to pin them more out next time,i cut the fin tape jagged on pursose on them in an atempt to make them lifelike, i think smoother trimming may look better on them to.
    thanks again tom

4. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Those are some of the best 1st fish I've seen. On the bass, I like the anal fin back a little more so it doesn't look so stiff. Also, the white around the mandible soft tissues is too harsh. Try toning them down a little and blending them. This could be done with pearl-ex powders or paint. You should be very proud of these fish.

5. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

thanks boarhunter i have read on here over and over not to over paint and for the most part i think i got that part right but not with the white it was a bit hard to control the white in the bass mouth and jaw areas and the black scale highlights along the belly scales were hard to aim and control also.i think all the fins could be back a bit to make it look like a swimming fish and not a stiff fish.i am real proud of my first fish,i was a bit intimidated by the painting but i read alot and watched some painting dvds did a few practice fish sheets i printed off fish and game sites and just did them.
    thanks again tom

6. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

Good job. Keep practicing...........

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Wow, nice work. That crappie is very good, especially for your first. All I can see you need to work on is your eye sets, and the head on your bass is drooping. I'm not an expert though. Keep at it.

8. rexver

rexver New Member

looks good to me ,

9. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    First thing I noticed on the bass was the smooth Apoxie around the eye. You can see exactly where you apoxied the eye. Try to texture the Apoxie(or whatever you used) and blend it into the surrounding paint. Learn about the sclera band, it took me a long time. Actually they are pretty decent paint jobs for first fish.