1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

1 hour soft tanning??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by elkhunter1313, Dec 23, 2010.

1. I came across this link on Ebay and wondered if anyone knew anything about this or what exactly the product is...have you used it/tried it...and if so what were the results?

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-Hour-Soft-Tanning-Kit-taxidermy-supplies-tools-/370281199651?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56367ab823#ht_500wt_1156

2. Here is another post of the powdered formula minus the oil...anyone recognize the names of the Champions that supposedly use this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/One-hour-tan-taxidermy-supplies-tanning-powder-/370281192576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56367a9c80#ht_500wt_1156

3. one hour tan for rugs? I must see to believe! ;D

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Sounds to good to be true, sooooooooo it must be true.

5. Light Rail Coyote

Light Rail Coyote Active Member

He's got 100% feedback, and a few buyers who've repetatively purchased the product. Still seems hard to believe.....

6. Thats what i thought i have even written to couple of people who have bought it to find out how it works but so far no answers

7. Light Rail Coyote

Have you tried Googling the product name to find more info?

8. Found an old post where Evelyn apparently uses it I will contact her to see if it is still good

9. Light Rail Coyote

Post back here once you have the verdict!

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

Here are the instructions from his website

1.) Remove all blood & meat from skin side,
    use 3% hydrogen peroxide for a maximum of 15 minutes.
    For best results remove ALL red meat, turn lips, eyes and ears.
    2.) Salt skin side of hide overnight, then rinse well.

3.) Wash hide in Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, rinse well in cold water.

4.) Soak in Authentic Bacteriacide for 10 minutes, then rinse well.

5.) Mix 3/4 lb tanning powder (9oz Dixie cup is perfect measure) in 2.5 gal. of warm water.

6.) Add 10 oz table salt and stir until dissolved

7.) Submerge skin completely into tanning solution

(if necessary use 1 gal plastic jug filled with water to keep skin submerged in tanning solution) soak hide in tanning solution 1 hour.

8.) Rinse well in cold water

9.) Flesh - tumble - mount or freeze

NOTE: If any pink coloration is present on the skin after fleshing, soak hide in tanning solution for an additional 20 minutes (you may use the same solution)

I'd say it's probably nothing more than a liquid DP and oiled down. Bill Yox you try it on a squirrell and he could legally say "Bill Yox uses it"

11. doesn't salt kill bacteria as well as bactracide?

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

no

13. Well it doesn't look much different to the formula of krowtann...only thing with the Krowtann is that leaving it in longer than 3-4 days ios not gonna hurt the hide, in this stuff i wonder if it would hurt leaving it in longer say for a day...

14. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

George would probably know more about this product than most here I'm not sure if he has tried it but it has been around forever! my opinion if there were shortcuts to tanning commercial tanneries would be taking advantage of them.. you cant beat time tested results and as cheap as you can tan at home why look for "miracle methods" ???

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's nothing but dry preservative in liquid form. Salt never "kills" bacteria as some bacteria thrive in salt. What it DOES do is to eliminate internal moisture that would FEED the bacteria. But why would you waste a bacteriacide on a DP hide to begin with. If you can "tan" it in an hour, why waste 10 minutes killing bacteria that usually take 12 to 24 hours before damaging a cape????

In life there's a lot to the axiom that most things that take less than an hour to complete doesn't have much to say for itself. The AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A ONE HOUR 'TAN'.

16. Well then I have my answer...George is a wise man when it comes to alot of matters

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

thats because George is one of the original "wise men" ;) George has a huge amount of taxidermy knowledge htats for sure! Merry Christmas Elkie & George!

18. Merry Christmas and Happy new years to you both Coonhollow and George

19. After All its 1 hour or one hour and twenty minutes? they appear not to be shore if the hide is tanned in a hour...
    They are admitting that one hour could be not enough!

20. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

"Just put your mammal skin in the solution and wait for a for the skin to turn white " I guess turning a cape white means it's tanned. Does that mean a powerwasher will tan a hide? LMAO!