1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mallard Duck Mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mountin man, Dec 23, 2010.

1. I have been mountin my own ducks for a while now. Maybe 20ish birds under my belt. They turn out really good but on some birds the back feathers just wont lay down right (especially a mallard drake)! The whole mount looks great, but the back feathers just don't have the smooth natural look that I think they should. It seems that the down feathers are just sticking out between the feathers! It has happened on more than one bird. I've tried taking a big pin an adjusting each feather but they just wont do right! Very very aggravating to me because the rest of the mount turns out good. Does anybody have any suggestions or tricks?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! And just to save on some questioning I flesh the birds, wash them in dawn detergent and rinse well. Then tumble in saw dust and use borax as a preservative. What am I doing wrong here????? Thanks in advance!

2. there are a lot of ifs here did you cut between the roes of quills? with a knife ? while fleshing? did you use a blow dryer on it before mounting? did the skin turn up hard to explain when you put ypur hand inside of the back and where blow drying the feathers did the skin roll freely and smothly across your hand? if not then maybe the fleshing isnt complete or your over tumbling and not allowing the air from the dryer to rearange the down and the feathers , after i take my birds out of the mineral sperits i make sure the quills are split and free to move when i roll the skin on my hand , then tumble untill almost dry the use a wet dry shop vac to preen them before i mount . make sure the form is small enough for he feathers and skin to go over easly then the feathers will lie down and arange . but if the form is to big / fat the down cant flold back under then if you under stand what ive said some where in the prosses you went wrong. i do not use calk or glue on the back of any bird .. hope it helps mark c

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Another possibility is, when you are working on the bird you may be too rough on it, like sliding it on your workbench. This breaks feathers. Try not to slide the bird pick it up and move it when you need to. I learned this the hard way. Hope this helps.

4. Did you cut a V in the back of the form, for the feathers to sit in?

5. I did not blow dry the bird before mounting. I will try that for sure. That may be where i've gone wrong. I don't think that I am to rough while skinnig but I could be wrong. I did a search after I posted that last night and read some old posts and I also think that mayb I had the skin pulled to tight across the back. There was alot of talk about taxiing??? I am assuming that means adjusting the skin? Anyway thanks for the input!! I just found this taxidermy.net last night and I think it is really great to be able to ask some questions. I will try to figure out how to get a pic of it on here afterwhile so you guys can see what I'm talking about and maybe me tell me what you think about the mount in general. I did alot of adjusting this morning and looks better now then it did but still not perfect. I'm fixin to skin a drake green wing teal out and see how that one turns out. thanks again!!

6. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

mark made some good points. i would love to see some pictures to go with what you have told us.

7. I would love to show you some pics, but I am not very technilogily advanced!! I tried 3 different times earlier and it said error. I think my pics are to big or something like that. My dad will be here tomarow for Christmas and he is a computer wizard. So surely he can help me get them on here. I did skin that teal out tonight and washed it like always but i blow dryed it until almost dry then tumbled in sawdust for about 10 min then blowed dryed it again and I tell ya what, I can already tell that it looks better than any that Ive done as far as fluffy nice looking feathers go. Also I took more time than I ever have fleshing and getting the fat off the skin with a brass wire brush.( I saw that on a Dan Rinehart video) I got a good felling about it right now anyway. Hopefully I will get those pics going tomarow and you guys can check it out for me.

Have a great Christmas and thanks again.

8. All right guys, I'm goin to try theses pics!! The 1st is of the bad back feathers
    [​IMG]

Next is a few others of the same duck. It's not perfect but for the first one that I've messed with in about 5 years I'm pretty proud of it. Yall tell me what you think, good or bad. I could use the criticism
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] In the last pic the greenhead in the back ground is one of the first ducks I did around 8 yrs. ago!! It's definitely not perfect but it's kinda got a spot in my heart. Just for some history, I started messin with birds 8 to 10 yrs. ago then quit for a long time and just got started again with this green head. I did a teal Christmas night and I am very proud of this one. It's probably not show material but a step up from this mallard... I did the blow dryin and really took my time on the fleshing..Hopefully get some pics of that one soon. Thanks in advance for any input on how to improve

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You need a bird anatomy book and use good reference pictures. Your scapulars are hanging down way too far and your wings are over extended. Pull the "shoulders" up on the back more, fold the scapulars over the back as they would be and then bend the wind so that the "elbow" is close to the body but the "forearms" are doing the flying.

I tell beginners to pretend they are a bird and flap their "wings" as fast as they can. With the arms extended, you're fatigued in seconds. Now tuck YOUR elbows in to your side and flap you arms. You can do it faster and MUCH longer than before. Birds are no different.

10. Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on a good reference book??

11. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    Since this is a landing bird, I think the legs should not be hanging straight down. Could be wrong, Like George says, some good reference would show correct location.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not sure "books" will do better than reference pictures. The internet has a mind boggling number of quality photos of birds in about any posture you'd like. Not much better source of anatomy than the bird in hand. Get an "extra" and pluck it to check physical character better than a real duck.

13. there are a lot of differant ways to skin a duck . spend some qualty time in the bird section on this form . you would better serve your intrests than in this area of the form. there are some realy good bird people that hang out there. someone will take an interst in you and give you some really good advise. to me its a matter of wants do you want to be good at birds ? then thats the place to go . my doughter dose them . i started her 3 years ago and she dose great at them she jusst read very thing there and once in a while she would ask a question . but you can learn more just reading and looking that the bird guys tech. stay with it mark c

14. My birds were doing that on the back. Another Taxidermist pointed out my mistake. I was drying the back of the bird suffeciently, and basically it would matup on me and I could never straighten it out. I completely dry my birds now. good luck, hope this helps