1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dried skin help

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Bruledrift, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Hi guy's, it's been awhile since I've been on here. Just no time to do much Taxidermy right now with a kid in Youth Hockey during the Fall and Winter. But, a kid I know took his first buck and they wanted me to mount it for him. Here's the deal, I was going to DP it since I havn't done a tanned one yet and I didn't want to try it on someone elses mount. They just got it to me a month now after they shot it since it froze during the season. The thing is dried out on the ear tips, the nose, the top and bottom lips and under the chin. I skinned and rough fleshed it as best I could right now, and put a good dose of stop rot on the dried out areas to see if this will moisten it up enough. If not, I'm thinking that I might need to pickle and tan it to get it back. Is this the right track to take? I can't turn the lips or ears right now, would it work to pickle it and then turn everything? Or, is it a lost cause?

Thanks.

2. highlander

highlander "There can be only One"

You can take a syringe with water and inject into the areas and they will soften up immediately. This will also work on the tips of the ears too. Just make sure to turn as soon as it softens to get the water out and i think you will be o.k. Placing in a pickle will not soften these troubled areas as the water will not penetrate. Hope this helps out..........Merry CHRISTmas

3. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks Highlander, that's what I was afraid of with the pickle. The lips on this thing are my main concern, I don't know if I can bring it back. All's I can do is try the syringe, it can't hurt it anymore.. Wish I could have got the thing earlier.

4. It can take some time but it will soften up. Here are some good tips on getting it done, it takes a combination of things and time.

5. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

What would happen if I rubbed some brush on tan solution on the dry area's? I wonder if that would penetrate better.

6. highlander

Probably not. The skin has glazed over so its would be hard for anything to penetrate form the outside. Just try sticking the tip of your syringe in the area and injecting and you will be amazed how it will loosen up

7. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks again Highlander, the kid and his dad realy like the colors of the cape, so I am going to try anything possible to save it.

8. highlander

You can send to me and i can wet tan it for you and I will split and soften for you

9. dipper

dipper New Member

Tell them to put it in a large trash bag next time.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If it truly is dried out and freezer burnt,, you will not get a syringe into it.

11. kennygribbins

kennygribbins god , family first !!

Merry Christmas ! Brother take stop rot a syringe and needle and inject ! Put in fridge overnight and you'll be good to go. I've used this on ears and lips that were like cardboard , worked great for me ! Thanks to John Griffith he's the man!!

12. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Well, I got the lips to turn using a combination of a syringe and brush with stop rot, and very careful scalpul work. I soaked the ears with Stop Rot and am going to try to turn them today.

13. If they won't split all the way, get them as far as you can without fear of more damage and go ahead and pickle. I have found it will make it easier to finish them out after a couple days in the pickle. Return for a day after you get them done if you end up needing to do this. This works as well for some of the tick damaged ears I get here in the far south that are scared and fused together.

14. Bruledrift

Bruledrift Active Member

Thanks for the responces guys. It took awhile, but I got the ears turned. After about a hour, I had both ears turned. I would open alittle, put more stop rot on, open alittle more, more stop rot, a little scalpal work and finally they were turned. Then I got the face, nose, and eye's thinned and back in the freezer. Thankfully it was about 25 degrees in the garage. Now I can go ahead an order the form and things. I wasn't going to until I found that I could use the cape.

dsbragg, I have one I shot this year that I am planning on tanning, so I'll be pickling that one. I noticed on that deer, there is a cut in the ear and I may have to do as you suggested.

15. Bruledrift you can turn them as far as you can, and put them into a pickel. I had on brought to me this fall, dried worse than I had ever seen, with freezer burn. I turned them as far as I could and put it in a pickle for three days. Finished fleshing and turning everything. Back in the pickle, and tannned it. Turned out great. Try it.
    Jim