1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

salting

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jleonard44, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ive been reading alot and watching alot of videos on salting the deer hides first, i have seen people use non-iodized salt, icannot find a store anywere that sells salt that says non-iodized salt.all im finding is reagular salt that is next to the iodized salt., is this the same stuff? and it only comes in 1 pound containers... can anyone help me out ????

2. do you shop at a wholesale grocery outlet? Walmart has non iodized on cardboard trays for about .25 per container (8 oz)...i buy bulk and try to keep em dry...a tray of them is usally 6 x 4 so about 24 altogether running about $ 6 bucks

3. i was at wal-mart today and didnt see the non iodized salt trays?

4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Walmart or your local grocer also sells "pickling salt" in 4lb. boxes (at Walmart the box is green) - it contains no iodine. Any ranch-feed store will sell 50 lb bags of salt for mixing with feed for about 5 or 6 dollars.

5. dbess

dbess New Member

Fine stock salt from a feed store, with no additives..... $6-7 for 50#

6. look in the spices section in grocery...if you can't find it ask someone to go to the back and bring out a tray of salt..

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Here we go AGAIN for about the 10,000th time.

SALT IS SALT

Iodized or non-iodized, table salt or cattle salt. Insure it's "Sodium Chloride". Just no ROCK SALT or sea salt or salt with minerals added. I buy it in 20 pound bags for $4 from bakery supply companies. Some people use tanners salt or cattle salt, but it's much too granular for me. I like table salt as it covers better and penetrates into the nooks and crannies of a hide better FOR ME.

8. thanks everybody for your help ...

9. i just went and bought some fine stock salt today from the t.s.c. storeor tractor supply, iguess this is the right stuff? i didnt see on the bag anywere that it had any additives...

10. thats the right stuff thats were i get it also

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

the feed store salt is fine, just get what has the same granule size as table salt stay away from the coarser salt..as George stated it doesn't work as well penetrating the skin I wish salt companies would include screen size on the bags or boxes it would be easier for you!

12. :) thanks...

13. Feed salt will usually contain more contaminates than food grade. Swimming pool salt is well refined as well as no one wants thier swimming pool to turn cloudy when they add salt. I use cooking salt to salt my hides as it is relatively fine but use pool salt for all of my tanning procedures.
    cheers Peter

14. RTF

RTF Active Member

Same stuff I have been buying for over a decade. Never ever had a problem with it in salting, pickling and tanning.

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you salt the hide down by using a table salt shaker,, it will save on salt,, and take a long time to apply the salt.

16. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

Feed store - #50 bag of fine salt around $8