1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beginners giving advice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by choo choo charlie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

It is now a HIDDEN email address. LMAO!!!!!!!!

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Too funny...........

**Plus the experienced folks should post (without disdain) when a beginner gives wrong advice. That way they are actually helping two people out not just being full of themselves.**

Now that is just plain funny!

And no 2 people can have the same e-mail address....................

:)

Kerby...

3. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

It's one in 309 million Redwolf.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

They don't have the same email address but sorrytaxidermist email address is [email protected] Colleens user name is jbgcmg. The ONLY difference in the 2 is "[email protected]" :D

But we're just a bunch of stupid taxidermists so we shouldn't pick up on that. :D :D
    And the fact that just 15 minutes after becoming a member they just happen to post on a thread is just a bit obvious that they are only looking to start problems.

Even better. lol

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm just waiting for jbgcmg (Colleen) to come on and say "Oh dear. Goodness gracious, how could this be?" :D

6. sorrytaxidermist

sorrytaxidermist New Member

You are not going to believe me and someone must stop this. So I will. Say what you want but I AM Not who you are saying I am. I will still be on here just not responding anymore to this thread.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Okay, I believe you. jbgcmg is a pretty common name, it stands to reason that both of you would share it.

8. Good luck getting anymore advice. May I suggest deleting your account and starting new minus the chitty attitude!

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsaTElBljOE

10. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Back to the topic at hand. My opinion is that I have learned things from newbies before. But what gets me is when a newbie, or anyone else, "owns" the advise they give when in actuality, they got it from someone else. At least be courteous enough to give the credit to the individual who is responsible for your knowledge. For example: if I learned a technique from Bill Yox that I felt was OK for me to share, then I think it is respectful to say that I learned this from Yox. But I will also say, that unless you have permission to share that knowledge, then you don't have a right to do so. Many people on here make a part of their living teaching and training. Advice is one thing. Prostituting a person's training techniques is another. If you are gonna share someone else's knowledge, be sure you have the right to do so.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Tim, we all learned something from someone. Heck, if we had to do that Tom Voyer or Dans name would be in every post I do in reptiles :D

It just seems like common sense that if you've never done something, don't give others advice on how to do it. Someone who has never done snakes shouldn't give advice on how to do it.

12. antlerman

So how hard is it to say: I learned this from so and so and it seemed to work pretty good for me.

Or

This is how I do it because I am better than you and I am a know it all and I invented this.

My point is; newbies can gain credibility by saying, I learned this from (insert the name of your teacher). By doing so, I may sit back and say Hum, this guy may just know what he is talking about because of who his teacher was.

Example, who is the kid that has trained with Rick Carter? That kid might just have something to say that would help many of us, but without knowing where his education came from, who is gonna listen to a kid about taxidermy? But knowing where it is actually coming from gives him credibility if you will. And, if I'm not mistaken, he can back it up at a competition.

Oh, and I would listen to anything Daniel Meng had to offer also, because I know where and who his teachers are. ;)

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I can see how it would give some credibility to the advice being given.

14. antlerman

On the flip side, there is someone who blows themself bigger than reality as a consultant and teacher who has no credibility to support either. That person uses the word "we" an aweful lot, but you never see the "we" saying the same things as the person saying "we". UNDERSTAND???

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yup. lol

16. In the beginner state (you were all there) there are a lot of trials and errors, especially when you are learning from watching videos. My question is. Is it wrong for a beginner to give advice to another beginner so that they don't make the same mistakes?
    I am glad that someone pointed this site out to me, there a few ppl that I really pay attention (Thanks for sharing your knowledge), then there are some ppl that I wouldn't take a pennies worth of advice from. Fact of the matter is we have to sort the B.S out when we read on this site.

17. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

If you have tried something and it worked for you then I don't see why you couldn't. It may not be how others would do it, but it worked for you.

18. antlerman

My question is. Is it wrong for a beginner to give advice to another beginner so that they don't make the same mistakes?

Not wrong at all, but state that you are a beginner and that it is only your experience, and that others may have other solutions. The problem lies where beginners come off as experts with little or no experience and lead people down wrong roads.

19. Thank you for getting this thread back on track, Tim. Very good information, aforementioned. I always preface my responses with how long I have been doing what I do to give credibility to my response, not to be cocky or condescending. I feel sad that some misread that.
    When I see beginners answering other beginners questions, unknowledgeably, it makes one wonder, who really is feeding their ego here?
    You have mentioned some talented, new and not so new, young taxidermists who do have a wealth of knowledge to share on this site due to where their experience has come from.

[quote author=antlerman]
    The problem lies where beginners come off as experts with little or no experience and lead people down wrong roads.
    [/quote]

This is the exact point many of us have been trying to convey.
    Thanks again.

20. antlerman

Mary, you need no credibility statement. Trust me, your experiences and expertise are well known and documented my friend. But, Yes, I understand and hope those giving advice do also. We're not trying to be pricks here. We're trying to keep the sight useful for all to learn from, at all levels. Just know your level and advance gracefully. That's all.