1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beginners giving advice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by choo choo charlie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. deerstuffer

deerstuffer New Member

Just remember that, in some cases, when you see high post count on here for some like George and Charlie, that it means they don't have enough taxidermy work to keep them busy, so they spend their time on here bashing others and trying to cram their way of doing things down everybody's throat. There are many posts on taxinet about how taxis are not making any money and we all know what a reputation taxidermist have for taking forever to get mounts done, but yet some of them have time to spend 2 or 3 hours per day on here bashing others. For those on here that give constructive and productive advice on here on a regular basis, I appreciate your time and effort because I know it take away from the time in the shop. But for the George's and Charlie's, I wish they could get enough work to keep them busy.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

deerstuffer to that I say worry more about your life and not so much about what others do with their time.
    If you had any common sense you would think about what this thread is actually about, or what the message is and not be so defensive about it.
    If someone giving/receiving bad advice is OK in your book you have more to worry about than what "the elders" do with their time. ;)

3. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

I think what j.sonnenfelt was getting at to start with, is if you don't want to take the time to write a reply..... don't. If its something you know is in the archives.... write archives, leave it at that. If you have a CONSTUCTIVE opinion to share weather beginner or pro, share it. I don't ask many questions, I do my best to find my answer in the archives, but if I need something I ask. Anyone who has done much lurking around on this site is going to know to respect the input from George, Mr. T, Redwolf, Cole, etc. more than some Joe Schmo who you've never heard of. At the same time If I'm asking the question I'd still like to hear what Joe Schmo has to say on the subject wether he has a million posts or one, lots of credentials or none. We're all on here to gain experience and knowledge and maybe, just maybe Joe Schmo knows something I don't.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

deerstuffer, did it ever cross your mind that perhaps guys like George have put the hours in the shop, done thousands of pieces for clients over the years, and have decided to semi-retire, not take in so much work, and relax in front of the computer for a few years?

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Good point Cole.

Oops. I shouldn't be on here. I just skinned out a 43 pound snapping turtle and figured I would stop for a coffee break before I go pick up some salt for the pickle. I don't know what I was thinking.

6. For those of you who seem to be getting their tighty-whiteys in a knot, what this topic was originally referring to was those folks who have VERY little to NO experience mounting up an animal giving advice. For instance here's one that will be forever be burnt into my brain (notice the first response to this request...):

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,217852.0.html

[​IMG]

There seem to be a large influx lately of overzealous newbies giving advice that have obviously never even mounted up an animal before! I think the point that was attempted to be made here was for these ambitious beginners to sit back, learn, and experience before attempting to give professional advice. ;)

Easy there fellas...no need to get all up in arms! :D

7. Jackson1814

Jackson1814 Active Member

I say let the pretenders pretend, let the criticizers criticize, let those who choose to share their knowledge, share the knowledge. If you criticize and share knowledge, that's good too as far as I'm concerned If you don't trust who it's coming from, pass on the information. If you don't like the criticism, don't read it or you can respond to it. Just expect something back that may get your panties bunched up. Some folks are gentle and honest with their response and some are harsh and honest with their response. So be prepaired to handle both types. If you can't maybe you should seek other avenues for your information. I know there have been times I haven't liked a response to my question, but I try and gain something from it weather it's a critical, harsh response or a gentle one. I know whose opinions I trust. This is a great website. It's a website of opinions, some from tried and true experiences and some not. I consider myself a beginner. I've been a member for almost three years and I cruised this site for almost a year before becoming a member. I still don't reply to beginner questions even though I know the answer because it's been asked and answer many, many times. I also don't consider myself qualified to answer yet. I figure it's a win, win situation for me, I get ALOT of information AND a laugh most always. ;D ;D

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I think I know me better than everyone else and any colorful adjectives you'd like to address me with would probably fit, but I have to tell you that numbnuts like deerstuffer using that tired ass comment sort of chafes my ass. Obviously he doesn't know squat to begin with and "mine's bigger than yours" doesn't work here. (Thank you Cole for having explained it much sweeter than I might have.)

Still, I do answer many redundant questions because when I see one, I get off MY dead ass and use the SEARCH block like I'm going to tell them to do. Yet this "new" forum can't hold a candle to the "Old Forum". On the old ones, you could click on that orange icon and use a phrase, part of a phrase, or even a key word and find TONS of posts related to it. Nothing irks me more thatn to click the SEARCH block, type in the title to a post I SUBMITTED, and get that dumbass reply, "No Results Found". So if I can't find it, I suspect someone wanting the answer won't fare much better.

j.sonnenfelt, let me turn your remark around - if you don't like what I have to say when I see a redundant or dumbass question, then DON'T READ IT.

9. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

Thanks George for setting a perfect example of what i previously posted. I started out not intending to offend anyone. But it has quicklly escaladed. I still do not intend to tick anyone off. I admit I let my temper do the typing. Cole even you have to admitt that some of these answers are a little over kill. Is it really worth your time to log on and type a few words just to try and fuel the fire. As for all the pm I have recieved thanking me for saying what they all wanted to. I don'y want to come off as a whiner because I am not. I believe this post has went a stray from the original intent. I will stand behind most of the comments , I have no business telling anything about an elk because I have never touched one. As for the post I " HIGHJACKED", it was a question on filling and coloring antlers. I have lots of experience in this. I have been building lamps for along time and have figured it out fairly well. I simply added my two cents and then commented that he should seek a more experienced member to give him the solution. Per this thread!!

10. j.sonnenfelt

j.sonnenfelt New Member

George I have never thought your anwers were that bad. I have gained alot of knowledge from your posts and as a matter of fact if I see it is your post I look at it. You have posted lots of info and I thank you for it. But COLE, George may be semi retired and have lots of knowledge and a little time to post. WHAT IS YOUR EXCUSE? Busy are ya??????

11. George

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Don't tell me we've stooped to THAT???? You mean we have lurkers on here who don't have the balls to post their own sentiments and they needed a Billy Graham to save them???? I'm simply devastated by that.

BTW, I really don't notice Cole saying a whole lot (unless he's trying to bust my chops) but when he does, even I listen. You might want to learn from that. From what I've seen of his work, he's probably doing it a helluva lot faster than you and I and it's done MUCH better than both of us combined.

And why are you picking on Bob (Redwolf). He's got a bazillion posts with very little to do about real taxidermy and he's only been here 3 years. Bust his chops awhile as he'll think we don't love him if you don't.

12. tem

tem Well-Known Member

WOW :eek:. 9 pages on this subject. this is like a mini series. lmao :D. cant wait till tomarrow. I'm gona get my self a bowl of pop corn and see what hapens ;D. i wonder who's gona ride off in the sun set ???. you guys & gales are ok :p. i love this site 8).

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Now this is getting ridiculous. Some of you might be brand new to taxidermy, but are you also like 7 years old too? I just cannot comprehend how an all grown up big boy could say theyll never ask a question in here again because they got ridiculed in here before. Really? I cant even fathom that! I would think to myself, screw that, and forge ahead. Id ask any damn question I wanted to, and read past the useless answers. I also wouldnt act like someones little sister and start a list of exceptions, guys who hurt my feelings once. Come on guys. Tea party is over. How about thinking this way...all you gotta do is come up with some clever name to call yourself in here, register, and away you go getting a fairly free course on taxidermy. The price you pay? Having to read some colorful replies from bored people, wade through responses from self proclaimed experts, and put up with some sarcasm...all the rest might just help you. That to me is a price Id have paid twice over when I was learning taxidermy.

My biggest beef is how so many people have zero reading comprehension, and miss the intended point. Then they follow that with some pretty pitiful debating skills. The simple fact of the matter, which started this post is this...too often guys who do not have enough experience have offered very inaccurate "advice" which further complicates a beginners direction. Thats true no matter what trade you are in. Because this is a sort of instructional site its magnified. Thats a valid point whether you like it or not.

Unfortunately, I see this post degrading into who has the least amount of work against how much they post in here ratio/contest. And Im saying this as a fellow taxidermist, not as a moderator. This is just stupid.

14. George

Hey Bill................................Nanny nanny boo boo.

15. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Thats it young man...now off to your room for some quiet time. I trust youll use this time out to think about what youve done. Lol, whats next? ;D

16. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Hey, I haven't had a good popcorn fight in a few days. Hum...lets see who can I go a pick on? Is your Finger on the zapper button?

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Attached Files:

• hurt.jpg
      hurt.jpg
      File size:
      70.9 KB
      Views:
  18. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Hey T, will you bring a couple of those to the show, You KNOW I'm gonna need a few ;D

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

LMAO Fozzie,, I will have your name pre printed on them for you.

20. Yeah, what's up with that. We all preach use the archives, but in fact they don't seem to work that well.