1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beginners giving advice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by choo choo charlie, Dec 26, 2010.

1. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

Saweet THANKS!

2. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    I don't know why this is s big deal one also might be experienced but just found this site therefor makes him a new member such as me! You just never know. We are a rare breed and most of us strive to do our best this should be a brotherhood we all need help sometimes and we all were beginners at one point in our life. Doesn't hurt to try new ideas.

3. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Jackson1814
    I'm with you on that 110%

4. LMAO, That's awesome T

5. choo choo charlie

choo choo charlie I feel pretty good for the way I feel

Wow! I had no idea that some people harbored so much animosity towards their fellow man or woman!

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm blushing :) George loves me ;D

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Don't go Barney Franking on me there Bob. It's more of a "subtle toleration" than anything else.

Buy Charley, tell us how you REALLY feel. LOL

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO It's OK George. At least you can tolerate me. :D

9. elizabeth anne

elizabeth anne New Member

im a beginner but am asking for my son he has successfully skinned a dead road kill otter and has the pelt now in the shed ful of salt, it has collected liquid pooled in two areas on the skinn, should he hang it up amnd resalt it or put it on a board to allow this to dripp off?

i used kitchen towel to absorb the stuff and reapplied salt. some say borax others salt,
    help please. also he still had the feet in up until today and he did it on tuesday night a friend was supposed to lend a hand today but didnt turn up so hes a little not sure how to get the feet out cleanly and whilst maintaining the skin and paw pads etc intact help please thankyou elixzabeth x

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Elizabeth, theres plenty to go over with you on that, so Id suggest you post this in the beginner section as itll get overlooked here inside this thread of a different subject matter. See, even she got conflicting advice with salt or borax. Elizabeth, start that as a new topc in beginners, and youll get lots of good and not so good advice. Would a few of you guys here help her too?

11. Of course Bill.

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Of course. But as you said, in the right place. As soon as she does, we will help her, you bet.

13. davidson

davidson New Member

Glad someone got her out of this hornet nest. Thanks Bill. As a new member on this forum i find it very useful. If you are willing to put in the time , you could answer most of your questions on your own though past posts. The tutorial section is great for the beginner. As it seems most are just to lazy to use it. But why if someone will research it for you and post the thread. Only being on this site a few months I have very few posts, Whopp dee doo! I could care less about your gold,silver,platinum status.Normally people are looking for opinions ,since most of these questions have no one answer.I have seen very few questions asked with only one answer. Filter though the BS and move on. Sometimes as a be ginner that is hard to do some say. Well think of it like this. I would not send my child to school to learn chemistry with out a text book for reference. Most questions on here could be answered by referring to some of the Breakthough Manuals, though dated, have a lot of general information for a beginner, and apparently some more advanced.I realise that some of the more ex perinced guys get tired of answering the same ole questions, as I am in seeing them in past posts. Having been logged in this site for just about 100 hours , most of that researching. I would suggest other beginners do the same, before giving BS advise to someone to lazy to find it.Did read on here some time back when one asked when he would be considered ex perinced. Held my tongue!!! Since a week prior was asking how to stitch. Sure hope that's never a question my Doctor asks. Sir would you perfer a baseball or invisible suture. Enough said. Like my A--hole, just an opinion...

14. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

wow, how did i miss this! lol

15. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

There's a lot of good of advice on this site, BUT it's still the world wide web, you can listen to what people have to say, then make your own decisions. But if you don't do your own research after the advice, shame on you. You get what you asked for. I could break a chair with a bat in a minute, but how long would it take me to put it back together the right way. It takes time and the more time you've been at this the more efficient you are. So basically if beginners wanna give information, and poeple use that info, there no better than the guy given the advice.

16. Chris H

Chris H New Member

Man I went and used the search button the other day and the only thing that came up was comments on (use the search button). You know this site has more info in one place than probably any other place. Bottom line is this industry is moving at a snails pace in relation to the amount of info thrust onto this site in a day. With that being said you will always Have redundant question because sure most of the half way intelligent ones have done been asked and answered. Problem with the search button is it SUCKS. Goggle should run it. You look up newby asking questions and you get results with one of the words in the phrase, and most of the stuff is way off target. It has always been easier for me to ask the question and get scolded for not looking in the the archives. With that rant you still don't know who is giving the advice unless you have been on here for a while. I am not going to go ask a homeless man how to buy a house. You need to know who is giving you the advice, and that's the individuals responsibility not this sites.

17. davidson

davidson New Member

You look up newby asking questions and you get results with one of the words in the phrase, and most of the stuff is way off target

Chris it could be how you are asking the question. The search engine is designed to pick up one word at a time with in a post. The more you type in , the more crap you get. Try to simplfy your search to a more specific word in what you are looking for. That button does not think for you, only searches for the words you entered. What newby question were you looking for? The post would have to have all 3 of those words in it. Google would have the same problem.Say you wanted to mount a Rattlesnake! Just put in rattlesnake, and it will bring up all posts containing that word. Yes; sometimes there is alot of stuff you dont want as well.I am not trying to bust your sack only help

18. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not true Aquaholic. Try this: type in "What I know about bears". Use the quotation marks or leave them off. Get ready for "No results found". Now I know that to be the EXACT wording of the post's title - I wrote it. HOWEVER, if you go to the "Lifesize Mammal" category and type that in, you'll find the post. So unless you know exactly where it is, the search engine is useless. But then again, if I knew where it was to begin with, I wouldn't need to use the SEARCH.

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I had no problem finding it.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,148325.0.html

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

To make the search easier, if your looking for something that has to do with birds, DON'T do a search on the main forum page. Go into the bird forums and do the search. That way you don't get results from wanted and for sale. The same goes for all searches.