1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krow-tan a disaster??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Iowan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Iowan

Iowan New Member

I've been tanning with Krowtan for 5-6 years, most of that time not oiling(as advertised). Customers are coming back with cracking around the eyes. I'm going to stand behind every mount. Would the only true fix be taking the mounts apart and retanning? I'm back to using a formic pickle, EZ100, and a good oil never to go back!! We learn allot from eachothers mistakes, how would you remedy the problem? Thanks for your time and advice. You could call 712-726-3080 to talk
    Iowan

2. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Krowtan should be called Krowpickle.

3. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I agree. I have remounted a total of 8, for other reasons, but sounds par for the course.

4. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

you never see lutan f, ez 100, or permatan disaster's on here if there are so many post on here with taxidermist having trouble with it..then why use it? it suks you have to rework for something like that. good luck! i would remedy by never using it, hard to say if you can oil fleshy areas to stop or slow it down.

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I've never had any problems with Krowtan...............ODD that only a select few do .... ::)
    I've seen My mounts from 10 years + and NO cracking around the eyes LOL

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

don't pat yourself on the back yet Tom it hasn't been around long enough to compete with a commercial tanned skin as far as longevity. time will tell

7. antlerman

It's not a select FEW, Tom. It's many. Most just don't mention it and move on, or in most cases, back to where they came from. It has it's place just like Michael's DP/Stop Rot, but when you're use to a quality tan and something is advertised as such but falls short, makes me wonder if YOU have ever had a quality tan to compare with.

8. TD

Coonhollow.......... It has already been around long enough for time to tell................
    I've seen Commercial Tanned Skinned that have gone South too..........Maybe that was just a bad batch or what ever...........Its still done by man.....
    Any tan can go south........even the ones you mentioned if something is done wrong.............
    I would like to see some good pictures of these cracked Deer............
    Might be the finish work was done too soon and its the paint for all I know............ ::)

9. TD

There was a time when I used Formic acid Pickle and Liqua tan.........
    I would pickle as many as Ten Capes at a time............
    I had one batch of Ten that every cape had a slight slippage around the eyes............
    I knew that I had religiously watched My PH and supposedly had done everything right..........
    Did I blame the Formic Acid??? ...........NO..................
    It was something else, I just never pin pointed the problem................

10. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Tom, is Krowtan NOT primarily formic acid with some seasonings???? Like Knobloch's pre-tan among other seasoning additives?

Seems to be if you want a real tan, then it might be best to use the tradional pickle-tan method...or send to a real tannery.

11. repro antlers

repro antlers Member

I've got a deer head that was done during my training with a very well known and accomplished GAMEHEAD taxidermist using formic and liqua tan that is cracking all over the eyes. Guess liqua tan is sh!t to!!!!!!!! Oh ya, it also was done during the summer with plenty of humidity and allowed to dry for three weeks before any finish work was done.

12. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

as far as oiling i have always oiled the outside skin around eyes, nose pad, lip skin when oiling the rest of the skin. and never have had one crack. a taxidermist close to me paints oil on those areas twice after mounting as it dries. then washes with thinner prior to painting he is where I got this from and he is a awesome whitetail taxidermist. Krowtan is nothing more than a glorified pickle and in my opinion nothing but trouble down the road..but enjoy it!

13. pikelakerunner

pikelakerunner New Member

14. repro antlers

repro antlers Member

Yes pikelakerunner, everything was done correctly and no its not hanging by a heat source....this isn't my first rodeo and you obviously didn't read the post closely. It was all done with an accomplished taxidermists supervision.

15. pikelakerunner

pikelakerunner New Member

nmn...be cool man!! just asking, not accusing!!

16. verne

verne Well-Known Member

$h1t happens!

17. TD

Well Joe...........What ever We want to call it..........It works ........and It lasts......and all the back hides that Ive kept off the KT mounts certainly resemble the back hides off Liqua Tan and Lu tanned capes........They look and act just like the same leather...........In fact you can't tell which is KT and which is not if I put them all in front of you...........I Guarantee it..............
    Now maybe if you throw em in a boiling pot of water, there may be a difference..........but who is going to throw their mount into a boiling pot of water to see if they have a low quality tan or a high quality tan lol..........As long as they take care of the mount.......it will last just like any other tan.............
    Or .......They can throw it in the garage or Out side for that matter..........and when it looks like crap after a period time............ then.............They can Holler.....IT WAS THE KROWTAN ??? ;D

18. antlerman

Why is it that there is more controversy over Krowtann than any other subject talked about?? I never see these debates over any other tanning method or product. One must ask themselves one question......WHY? Is it because we just love to fight, or is it that perhaps the consistency is not user friendly? There is no doubt in my mind Tom that you believe wholeheartedly in the stuff, but your numbers are low in support. When the same conversation is held concerning ANY other home tan product or process the support numbers are more favorable. We all understand that YOU are a huge supporter, but it sure seems that if anyone else has any bad experiences or doesn't speak favorable of the stuff, you get defensive. Maybe it's something as simple as your water that gives you the results you like, but evidently we don't all drink from the same well as you. After 16 years in this biz and having been a home tanner the whole time, I have NEVER had a tanning issue until KT. Now, we have talked about my issue before and I will give way to the possibility that my capes were too penetrated with water to except the KT, but even with that said the controversy sure does make a person question if ALL this negativity is simply because everyone likes a good fight. I don't think so.

19. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

That is exactly my point Tim I choose not to use DP but would use that over Krowtan any day there's no fights over DP working or not working only a personal preference argument Michael is proof enough when it comes to taxinet that DP works. there are so may "trouble with krowcrap" post on here its ridiculous if the stuff is that temperamental to use then why risk it on a cape worth more than the cost of the stuff.

20. I noticed that someone said they allowed 3 wks drying in a humid environment !!! here in summer 25 ~ 40 * C with 15 ~50 % humidity I allow 3 ~ 4 wks. In winter it can sometimes be upto 6~8 wks when I bring them insde. I would be pointing the finger at a combination of the preserving, no oil and short drying time . I will however admit I have never used any other preservation except for aluminium based ( lutan F , aca300 , oxitan al , aluminium sulphate )
    Cheers Peter