1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krow-tan a disaster??

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Iowan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Iowan

Iowan New Member

It an excellent pickle, very easy to shave. Maybe in certain parts of the country it works for awhile(humidity, temp ect.) They must come up with a good oil, according to the directions krow oil shouldn't be applied around the eyes and face. Notice how hard the leather is when dried! I've found out the hard way its a risky way to go for large game for longevity of a mount, to dry, to brittle . Good news is the capes can be re tanned. The cracking is not due to poor shaving or to soon finish work. Ozark woods now sells eye balm, is this a bandaid fix? It may be fine for a fox mount, but not a deer. My take

2. I have not had any trouble with it and have used it since the beginning.

Any skin if thinned to much will crack and bust behind the eyes.

Glue or lack there off can be the problem as can over thinning.

"It was all done with an accomplished taxidermists supervision" that dont mean squat. So maybe you over thinned the area.

Krowtann has everything any other tan has, Lutan is aluminum chloride oh chit thats alum right?

3. Why is it that there is more controversy over Krowtann than any other subject talked about?

Simple people will not follow the directions.

Quit speculating and call Brian and ask why he developed Eye Balm.

I see lost of bull crap about krowtann and its from people who have not used it. One darn bottle dont count! Beside you probably did not follow the directions either. Sure you will claim to but I doubt it!

4. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

John, what is there Not to follow? The directions if anything are lacking. Not complex at all. I don't think it's a directions issue. But lets say that it is for a second, just WHAT about the directions do you think people are missing? Remember, some have just as much experience tanning as you do.

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

That's it John......You hit the nail on the head........Most of the ones that dont like it either used it once or never used it at all...........

Coonhollow..........I use to DP for Years before I even started Tanning so Im a very good judge as to weather or not it is better...........
    The DP doesnt give you the nice soft hair that you get with a KT cape and of coarse the DP has and will all ways have a better stretch.............
    I dont think that one is better than other at all as far as the results (when done properly)..........but it is allot safer for a begginer to use the KT..........It can take a beginner hours/days to shave a raw skin which > the risk of loss......Once the cape is in the KT.......They have forever to shave it down........
    It depends on the Taxidermist how good a DP mount turns out............I can shave a Green skin very thin but its a whole lot different than shaving a Tanned cape............and many people just cant do it.........
    Ive been hearing some very close minded statments here LOL
    Ive not only proved that DP works but Ive also proved that Krowtann works...........and many times over............
    Believe Me .........There has been plenty of complaints about Dry Preserving on Taxinet..........

Antlerman.............I would defend any product if I see its being bashed un- justly.........

6. Instructions are simple and if you follow them the capes will be fine. There is no need for more indepth, the old KISS works if people will read.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Eyes cracking is from shrink, maybe not enough glue, or the face was to tight when mounted, or not taxi-ing enough skin to the eye area.

8. TD

When in Doubt............Blame it on Krowtan!! ::) ::) ;D ;D

9. Manny

Manny New Member

Im definetly no expert but I guess real lucky.

Only had one slip in my 50 to 60 capes...Due to me not dissolving the salt first.
    Im always open to new methods...But for me the ease of the stuff keeps me.

10. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Formic and oil doesn't crack, Krowtann is good but in my opinion need oil afterward. I also agree with everything Paul said.

I don't think it is simply the Krowtann that is the simple problem but rather several contributing factors.

11. TD

I like to brush on Soft tan Oil on my capes before I mount them too........
    Same as I did with My Liqua-Tan Capes.........
    Thats just an extra step to reduce the shrinkage and it is well worth it...............
    As for those that dont believe the KT is a tan.................Just brush a coat of Liqua Tan on and mount............ and.........WALA...........There's your Peace of mind lol..........

12. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

and thats a very expensive bottle of acid.

13. TD

Yea Well its more expensive to loose nice capes ............and...........
    You will never have to worry about your PH Level...........

14. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Oh Hell guys. You can't blame this soley on krow-Tann. I have personally seen cracks on mounts on various different tans, yes even those that you defend !!
    There is too many variables here. Fleshed correctly, fit, positioning, thinned right, skin and antler alignment. Do I need to go on ?
    I have seen the skins of taxi's that say their skins are "fleshed as thin as should be". ::)
    Let me tell you something. Any tan can or will cause you problems if everything is not done correctly.
    As far as Krow-Tann, I have used it since it came out. Let's see, that should be around 1,000 deer heads by now. Don't you think if just one of those clients had cracking I would have heard about it by now. Come on now, I know I have some real a$$holes for clients that would have been down my throat if they had any problems.
    Same old thing, blame it on Krow-Tann.
    Like I said before, I don't know how many questions I answered over the years about every tanning method known to man when I worked at Buckeye. There was just as many questions then as there is now about Krow-Tann !!!!!!!!!!!!!