1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrinkles

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by gobbler71, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

In your opinion, what is the best way to make wrinkles on shoulder mounts? I know some use vermiculite and hide paste, some cut into the form and use clay with hide paste. What works best?

2. Kydeerhunter03

Kydeerhunter03 New Member

Ive only done a few, but I build mine up with clay and it works great.

3. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I always thought people just used clay like Kydeerhunter03 said. They always look nice.

4. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

I use the form, a little sand paper and done. I'm too cheap to use clay lol!

5. skinningman

skinningman New Member

Using clay is the best in my opinion. This way you can roll the clay and shape the wrinkle through the hide the way you want it to look.

Mike

6. Matt

Matt Active Member

In my opinion, the best way to do it is vermiculite and your hide paste. For one you can apply it to the areas for wrinkles and sculpt them in naturally. if you sculpt them in with clay, it doesn't always work out with where the wrinkles are and where you clay is in, plus you will mess up the clay moving the skin around. Just my thoughts though.

7. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I don't think I have ever seen anyone post pictures or a tutorial on this subject.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I struggle with this topic. I know that a wrinkle is where the skin gathers and/or overrides itself. Yet this industry asks us to "fill it in" so to speak. Bulging muscle is quite a different thing, in my opinion. I once got dinged enough to be out of contention at a competition because my entry's wrinkle was deemed wet...it moved as skin or leather does, because it was simply gathered and stacked like skin truly does, like we would a bird, etc, and not built up or filled. I think most hide pastes should be enough, but Im afraid Im in the minority here, based on all the super bulges, shrunken clay wrinkles and over filled efforts Ive seen in the past.

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm a minority as well Bill. I can't imagine building up a whitetail to make wrinkles where in reality, they wouldn't exist. In early season deer or the Southern tier whitetails that have paint jobs for hair, then the form should be more than sufficient. Now if you were asking about African animals with dewlaps and extreme wrinkly skin, then comes the elephant snot mix of glue and vermiculite.

10. nitt

nitt Member

I have done both only reason I dont like not using glue is because it does shift n people dont seem to like that so I stick wit glue

11. Carls1

Carls1 New Member

If I want to add some wrinkles into a mount I usually just walk some skin up the form, use my fingers to create some skin folds, then groom.

12. gobbler71

gobbler71 Member

I once saw Cally Morris cut into the form on a deer and clay in the cuts and move and adjust to get the look he was after. On a whitetail with a extreme turn you only see two or three wrinkles anyway. Thanks for input a tutorial on this would be interesting

13. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Hardwood sawdust and your hidepaste of choice. Works great, doesn't shrink and is easily moved under the skin. Never tried the vermiculite, I'd imagine its very similar.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Trevor, it's much better. It's lighter and it won't rot.

15. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

George:

Thanks, I'll try it. You use straight hide paste/vermiculite or mix in some hi fiber or possibly powdered clay?

16. Matt

Matt Active Member

I was assuming we were talking about animals with excessive wrinkles like alot of African game do. Wts will have wrinkling to on occasion and my hide paste is more than enough to create the effect I am after. Trevor, the vermiculite and your hide paste should do the trick, I don't add anything to my hide paste other than the vermiculite.

17. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Well put Bill, why do we cut out the form, fill it with mache and then press the creases into the mache when in reality, the skin folds stand up away from the muscling.

18. x2

19. irishme

irishme New Member

;D
    LOL I do it the same way George does the wrinkles in (his) neck,
    ok my bad
    Just kidding old timer :eek:

20. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have to agree with Matt. I even use this method many times when a deer has some dewlap.

Nice looking wrinkles on a WT come from skin TAXIing and extra hide paste. It's actually so easy to make nice looking wrinkles on a WT that a monkey can do it.

Don't overthink it. Leave yourself a LITTLE slack skin in the area you want wrinkled...add a LITTLE extra paste....move the skin around until it looks good. The wrinkles will form NATURALLY if you do it right....don't take a tool and dig harsh , unrealistic wrinkles in a deer when they aren't there.

You don't want your WT Deer looking like an ELAND.