1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wrinkles

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by gobbler71, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Curious how you create this mixture? I had read about it in the past and bought some vermiculite about a month ago to try it out. When I mixed up the hide paste and vermiculte, the vermiculite pieces were still very chunky and grainy. Do you create this mix by power mixing it? (I just did it by hand). I would think with the mixture I created every little bumpy grain could be seen in something like an eland dewlap. What am I doing wrong?! lol

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The cleanest and easiest way:

Take a bowl or cup and put in vermiculite. Take a handful of glue and start kneading it into the vermiculite. Keep adding glue until the consistency you desire appears. Most of us like the consistence of modeling clay. REMEMBER however, that the form MUST be roughed up. When it is, then cover it with hide paste. THEN and ONLY THEN should you put your vermiculite clay down. This insures a positive bond to the form. When I'm sculpting rib cages, back bones, etc., I like to put hide paste OVER the clay as well so that the hide will still maintain good adhesion.

3. Thanks a million George!

4. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

X2!!Thanks George,and the search function..LOL

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

What grade are you useing to mix in with the hide paste? Fine, medium or course? Can you buy it locally. such as Home depot, lowes, etc? Can this stuff be mixed with buckeye supreme hide paste or mckenzie paste?

I been building wrinkles, and rolls with clay.. covered in hide paste.. I Have several African animals to do in the near future and would like to try this method

Thanks,

Hoytman

6. George

I buy the standard red bag "Sta-Green Horticultural Vermiculite" variety from Lowes Gardening Center.

7. Wow, I just noticed, Plain old "George" is now "George Roof"! I need to pay more attention.

8. BO-N-ARO

BO-N-ARO Hunt hard but hunt safe!

For deer I use extra paste or caulk. I slip a foot or two of plastic tubing over the caulk tube nozzle and slide it under the skin to add the caulk. For African critters I have had good luck using pieces of bird neck foam, with plenty of paste. I use different sizes to suite and I slice the ends nice and thin so the blend in well.

9. George

The only real issue with bird neck foam is that you're locked into the shape and the positioning. You get a big old eland and your caulking will puddle at the brisket and your neck foam will be left high and dry. The mixture I gave you is one, if not exactly like, similar to the one used at Animal Artistry. You can reshape any wrinkle under the skin as well as fold it back on itself in the most natural of ways. Ken Walker did a lifesized walrus that's on here someplace and it looked like a Chinese shar pei dog.

An unabashed advertisement for the Taxi-Tuk tool sold by WASCO. That tool is designed for tucking armpits but is exceptional in forming wrinkles through the skin into the vermiculite mix.

10. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

George, this is the second time I've heard you mention this "elephant snot" mixture for dewlaps and such. Do you mean that is all you use on a dewlap, bell, wattle, etc., or do you insert something solid for larger things like the bell/wattle or whatever you call what hangs down on a moose? I was taught to use something stiff, but was curious if you use something else.

11. George

Boarhunter, remember bells are like boys; they're all hung different.

On a small bell, that's all that I'd use. On the larger bells with dewlaps, I usually take a piece of quarter inch luan, shape out the bell and then cover both sides with the elephant paste to give it a bit of body. On eland, Cape buffalo and the big Africats, the paste is ideal for sculpting in the finer muscle nuances. I used it on a leopard to rebuild backbone joints as it was a skinny female. The uses are endless and it's almost a requisite on Africrap.