1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2nd wt.........critique please

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BigER, Dec 30, 2010.

1. BigER

BigER New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Not too dang shabby for your 2nd! Keep it up!

3. sluggunner

sluggunner New Member

Great mount for your second attempt.
    Study your eye reference, they aren't bad but they can be improved on.
    Watch your lip line, it shouldn't be so wavy.
    Work on your ear butts... bring them forward a tad, add muscle definition, and study ear rotation refernce.
    Brisket is a little off too. The outer edges are too high, bring them down closer to the bottom center of the chest.
    Reference will be your best friend!

4. BigER

BigER New Member

It is still somewhat wet so I can fix what may need fixing

5. Guerra

Guerra New Member

Lookin good. He just looks a little sad, but he did just die. So good job on capturing the mood.

6. Not bad for your second mount. This is what I see. It appears your antler set is too far back, which sets your ear butts back a bit, and you can add muscle detail. Eye shape, check reference, but not bad. When you tuck the mouth, make sure you have the black hairs on the top lip pointing straight down, the light hairs should be on the very bottom of the lip, if you understand what I'm talking about. The white hairs in the nose should be inside the nose. You should be able to fix most of it pretty easy. On your next mount just keep refering to reference. Good job.
    Jim

7. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

The back 'corners' of the eyes are too low, especially the left one. The antlers are set too high and WAY too far back. Lachrymal crease is not tucked deep enough.

8. BigER

BigER New Member

Thanks for the input so far, I definitely see now where the antlers are set too far back, but what do you mean by them being too high. I had trouble getting the lip lines to match up, it seemed the muzzle was too large, I guess i should have shaved the form there some. The form was a little large but I got it super cheap because its face was ripped in half. I'm gonna be mounting another one this week or next so i would like any input i can get.

9. Big ER try to take a couple measurements od the antler and ear placement before you cape your next deer head. I measure the front of the eye to the antler tip, and another from the eye to brow tine. Then from the front of the eye to the V notch in the ear. It may help set the antler, and ear butt in the proper place. The more measurements you take the better.
    Good luck Jim

10. BigER

BigER New Member

Thank you Jim.