1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Ear in bad shape.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Andrew L., Jan 1, 2011.

1. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

I have this deer cape that has a big tar through one of its ears. Is it hard to term it insideout?
    And when mounting it, would bondo be better to use than an earliner?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Shouldn't be bad. When I get some in with rips and pieces of the ear missing, I cut my liners to fit. Just take your time and you should be fine.

3. Tar? No tar in the ear, tar on the roads, tar on holes in roofs, tar in tobacco.

Tear in the ear.

Term, relates to a time period.

Turn is short for skinnng a the ear and turning it inside out.

4. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Thank you!

5. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

that is a good question. i have my deer cape in th freezer with a split(about 1 inch) in the top of the ear that is an old wound.i want to keep that ear looking the same as the day i got him.do i just turn the ear and cut the ear liner to fit the split?

can we not pick on the type'os and just reply to the question if we can, we all do not type the greatest myself included. thank's

6. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You want us to take the time to try & read & make sense of it but you dont want to proofread & correct it. Whats wrong with this picture?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

LOL Bill. x2

troutfisher, YES, that's what you do with split ears. TEARS are a bit more time consuming but can be repaired as well.

BTW can't you see how the omission of one little letter in a word completely negates the interpretation of what was said?
    "Tar" would have gone through spell check, obviously, but the people who are going to help you still had to try and gain some concept of what was meant. This one was rather easy but there a few "characters" here trying to imply that it shouldn't matter and we should just answer them without correcting them. RIGHT!!!

8. troutfisher

troutfisher New Member

Bill,that is not what i I'm saying we all should proofread to make sure our questions make sense and try to make sure the spelling is right(i do spell check and proofread but still miss things sometimes).i read this question with a like question in mind.to see what the pros say to do for a fix.i think in this case it was a just a simple typing slip up and for myself was very easy to understand,now on the other hand if somebody writes a question that is a bunch of gibberish and is not understandable then they don't deserve an answer.

George,thanks for answering my question on a split.yes,it does matter it should not be hard to figure out what the question is so you can give a response,but like you said this one was easy.thanks again

SO WHAT IS THE RIGHT WAY TO FIX A BAD EAR TEAR? do you carefully turn the ear and sew it like a fleshing poke though or what?

...also i would like to take the time to thank all you guys and galls on this site who take the time to read and answer all of the questions us beginners ask thank you again i appreciate the help very much, Tom the troutfisher

9. George

Tom before we become distracted with germane issues you asked, try to understand our perspective. YOU have written legibly and carefully and we don't complain USUALLY, but this has become chronic. More and more "beginners" come on here DEMANDING answers. We aren't obligated to give anything. We do it because we like to and feel we're giving something back, but now someone who NEEDS our help is wanting to imply that we should cater to his laziness, interpret what he's written, and then give him step by step instructions. That's not realistic in real life and those of us here who've helped thousands of others are not going to play that game.

NOW to your question. There's no "set" way to repair tattered ears. Some of us paint the earliners with epoxy and then place the strips of skin back in place. Simple repairs are done with shaved skin or dryer sheets from the inside. It often depends on your own ingenuity in what method you use and prefer.

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

As george says there are many ways to fix tears. For what its worth I glue the skin in place. It is VERY important that the earliner has a loose fit for the edges to stay together.

11. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Hey, I'm sorry if I didn't make any since with that word. I have seen allot of misspelled words on here, but almost always know
    what that person meant. Personally I don't think its a big dill. But, like troutfisher said, its one thing when its a simple type slip, and another when
    the person just doesn't make any since.

12. George

Andrew, do yourself a favor. Don't make it any worse. "Dill" is a weed and "deal" is a transaction, "Since" is an adjective and "sense" is reasoning. Those are "typos". I am glad you didn't misspell "misspell".

13. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Alright, I'm going to let this one drop. There ain't no reason to get into it with anyone.

14. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Andrew, It's as simple as hitting the spell check button at the bottom of the page. It will make it alot easier to get to the point of your post instead of grammar lessons.

15. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Ya, it would be nice to skip the grammar lessons. I'm going to have to make sure I do that from now on.

16. Goerge !!! LOL !

You are bad at times ! LoL!

17. backcountrychad

backcountrychad Active Member

George, the other day when you made your post about spelling and proper wording I didn't think much about it. But since then I have been watching people's spelling , and well,........................................................................................... yes you were right!! LOL!!!