1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on snow habitat

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Mink, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Mink

Mink New Member

This is my first time making a "snowy" habitat. However, I am not sure how best to make the snow stay on tight. I made the snow out of sanded foam, and attached it to the base with a thick layer of Elmers glue. I like how it looks, however, some of the snow seems very loose and will come off if you blow on it or touch it. I added more glue and foam to these weak spots, but I'm still not quite satisfied with the durability of it all. This will be a competition mount when finished, so I need to make sure everything stays together!

Is there any kind of sealant or fixative I should spray over the snow? Thanks for any input!

(I know the habitat looks a bit rough. It is a work in progress!)
    [​IMG]

2. brokentine

brokentine New Member

Well looks like you have a great start to your habitat. There may be some things that you could try to get a little more of an effect out of your scene. First I use some cheap powder snow that is used with winter village scenes. The stuff is called powder snow by enchanted forest. The great stuff about this is that its cheap, and is almost the same stuff that eveyone else uses but pays alittle more. I just bought a whole case, that included 24 bags. Each bag covers 1 to 2 square yards. I bought this case for just 3.00 Look around your local menards, that is where I picked this one up at. Its a finely ground polystrene that has the glitter and look of real snow. To get the look in the pic below I just found my twigs and brush out along the road, sprayed it with acrilic adhesive...Important make sure says dries clear... spray the entire scene down with the adhesive, get a good coat, then steal your wifes colander in the kitchen put your snow in, and sift it over the top of what you want to have snow on, get the desired look of depth that you want and coverage. Lastly seal the snow in with a mix of 50/50 elmers glue and water. Put this in a small spray bottle mist over the snow make sure everything is getting sealed. Not to get a kind of melted look you can go alittle heavy with the mix if you want, but I like to just mist it over a couple of times to lock it in. If you feel that you still have some stuff coming loose you can spray the adhesive again, put hold can back from habitat, you dont want to blow snow up in chunks.. this will happen if you are to close. Remember the key is snow falls from above so the key is to simulate how it falls, that does include the mount ifself at times, depending on what you are looking for... Well have fun, thats how you make it look good, just have fun..... Like the fox, gotta git me one of those!

3. ortegageno

ortegageno Active Member

NM
    Brokentine, Where do you find this snow by enchanted forest? I have searched hi and low on the web with no luck. Thanks,
    Regards, Geno

4. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Dont forget the footprints in the snow ;D ;D ;D ;D

5. jots

jots Member

If you will take some pillow stuffing from any dept. store and lay it out on what you have spray some adhesive first! Then spray some more on top of your stuffing, then sprinkle your snow on top of that. Spray more add more snow until you have it the way you like the stuffing will not show thru and it gives it a great looking fluffy fresh snow effect. you can let the stuffing hang over the side of your wood base. you will lose a little snow when you shake it off just spray a little more adhesive and add more snow just don't get to carried away with the spray and get it to wet. you will love the effect it gives. try it with a small amount just to see for yourself. Hope that helps you out.--- Sorry didnt know my buddy jots was logged on here. this post is actually from Sitting Duck.

6. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

ok buddy here is what you do it sounds hard but it's not i can do it so can you.....aculy doing one now will post when done..

ok 1. take your fox off,,,and clean that floor off (trust me the earth is not flat)
    2.get some of that pink or blue foam bord diffrent thick ness if you wish.....(like they use on house's

3. sand it or shave with a knife to get the shape you want (waves hills ect..)
    4. paint it white,,,,add sticks dirt leaves ect..
    5,get snow from mckienzie it has the adhesive in it you just apply the snow with a strainer or sifter.

6. spray the hole thing with warm water with a spray bottle,,,let dry do it again but this time when you spray it dust it with glitter.
    7.put the fox back on ...walaaaaaaa

is this what you were trying to do.hope this helped you?
    like i mentioned i am doing one i will add photo tommarow

little fred

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Id strip it off too...

I use clear silicone mixed with artificial snow from KcKenzie or maybe it was research...

Mix it up and it will stick to anything you want, do NOT breath this stuff..... it looks like icey snow, or use white silicone for a fluffy snow.. You can also sprinkle some snow sparklies on top for that added fresh snow look

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

This is the stuff I use to adhere a light dusting of artificial snow. make sure you find the spray that says CRYSTAL CLEAR. any craft store should carry it.

[​IMG]

9. artbyvalerie

artbyvalerie Art By Valerie -- Valerie Thomas

I loved your idea. I do large trophy rooms for hunters and I think your snow looks a lot better than anything I've seen. Thanks for the tip. You can see my trophy rooms at www.artbyvalerie.net

10. Tried out the RoyalOaks snow method and it turned out really good. Thanks for the great information. Jeff.

[​IMG]

11. josh s.

josh s. Active Member

Nina......thanks for sharing your method.....I was wondering how you did your mink......it looks great. I really like the method from royal oaks too.......I have to do a two coyote scene in a snowy cornfeild soon so hopefully it looks great when I am finished.

12. Iuse a snow flocking you can get at any taxidermy supply company, you just spread it on then spray it down with a mist of water and it turns hard as a brick in 24 hours and it sticks firmly to the base. You will have to pry it of if you want to remove it.

13. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Can someone tell me , when you say to mix it with clear silicone, do you mean silicone out of a tube, because i tried that and it hasnt worked, I really need to crack this and get it right, im about to finish a golden eagle case and dont want to spoil it with naff looking snow. I want it to look like the semi melted snow you get left in the shade, PLEASE HELP!!!!

14. Roger. Just mix with clear 100% silicone (the inexpensive stuff from Wal-Mart). You can adjust the texture by the amount of snow you add. The more you add the more fluff the less etc. Hope this helps. Jeff.

15. RoyalOaksRanch

Yep I get the cheap clear stuff for the icy look, and the white for fluffy look...

Squeeze the silicone out into a bowl or whatever, mix the snow in slowly...

16. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Thankyou for your help, but it just seems to keep balling up, what artificial snow do you use, ive got the self adhesive WASCO product, but it seems to powdery and i just keep getting small balls of silicone covered in white dust, sorry to keep asking but i really need to get it right and looking like your pictures.

17. RoyalOaksRanch

I use the fake snow... Not the adhesive kind...

18. Capercaillie

Capercaillie New Member

Thanks for all your help, this is the snow so far, just waiting on some artificial water resin to turn up.

Attached Files: