1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pine bark

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by maximum, Jan 2, 2011.

1. maximum

maximum The one that got away! Made the other guy Famous!

Ok guys, I want to create a pine bark look on the back of a wall pedestal whitetail mount. What is the best way to recreate pine bark?

2. You can make a mold using silicone rubber from a tree. Use a brushable silicone. Also seal the bark of the tree with a good sealer or some coats of acrylic clear. Peal off the sheet of silicone and you have a flexible press pad to use.

Or you can find suppliers that sell sheets of tree bark that are a flexible plastic.

3. I recently finished the back of a pedistal with a tree bark look. I put a thick layer of mache on the back. I then took a slab of real bark and wet it to prevent sticking of the mache and pressed it into the mache to make an impression. I then sculpted some more detail in by hand using the bark as reference and then paiinted it with several washes of browns and black.

4. maximum

do you have a picture of it? If so will you post it?

5. maximum

What in you guys opinion is the best medium to imprint to bark mold into? Bondo, Mache, ? I am trying to set up my finishing techniques, get outside the box? Thanks for the help so far.

6. Here are some pics. Sorry for the quality, the only one I had on the computer didnt show the back. Had to take the others with my cell phone. Mine is not really pine bark more like oak. Pine bark has much more depth and would be harder to duplicate. As far as the best medium to use I'm not sure bondo would work with my method, probably too sticky. You could use bondo if you create a mold.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rexver

rexver New Member

i used to make bark camo out of liquid nails for my game cameras, i would spread it all over very thick take wax paper and then go press camera to the tree to make the indention. liquid nails takes paint very good and is very strong sets up hard .

8. KClem

KClem New Member

If your not in a hurry I'd make a mold and cast a piece of artificial bark. I used about 6 tubes of 100% silicone caulk to make a mold of an Elm tree, after a coating of synlube 571. I gave it about 3 weeks to cure due to the thickness of the silicone. While waiting for the silicone mold to cure I made a bondo/fiberglass cloth mold of the back of the pedestal form. I carefully removed the silicone mold from the tree and used the bondo/fiberglass mold from the pedestal form as a sort of mother mold to hold the silicone form in the correct shape. Then I cast the artificial bark with multiple layers of bondo and fiberglass cloth. To finish the artificial bark I used grey primer spray paint, a thinned down walnut stain, stippled on several oil colors, and sealed it with a matte clearcoat.

Attached Files:

9. maximum

you have exactly what I want! I am going to try it. Not in a hurry, but my anticipation will kill me.....will latex work to mold it?

10. KClem

KClem New Member

I'm pretty new to casting and molding so I'm not sure. If your referring to latex caulk, I'd still probably lean more towards 100% silicone caulk. When you pour the artificial bark out of bondo in a silicone mold, the bondo won't stick to it...I'm not sure latex caulk will provide the same result. Surely some of the experienced casting/molding folks will provide you a better answer. Good luck and be sure to post some photos.

11. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

if you used the actual bark you ended up with a negative or reversed bark look.

12. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    go to the tutorial section and find Jknuth's tutorial on making a rock out of silicone. The process is the same as the rock. Just make a batch of mache and press it into the mold. After the mold starts to thicken up, press it onto the item you wish to work on. Give me a little time and I'll send you a PM. Then as it dries you may need to put some detail back by using a pin or tool.

13. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

I use potters soap and brush on 40 from smooth on. 3-4 coats of soap on your tree bark, let dry and then 4-5 coats of brush on 40. Let cure over night and peel. You can use bondo kicked with white hardener. Pull from mold before it kicks completely and you can bend/trim to fit the back of your form.