1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody used the VanDyke's moose antler base?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mrdux, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mrdux

mrdux Member

I got in a set of huge moose sheds and the client is wanting me to do a regular antler mount. The only really big antler base option I can find is from Van Dyke's. Anybody used one of these? Since they are about $80, I don't want to buy one and it not be what I need. I'm figuring on building up a foam skull base to encase the antler base so I can cover it with buckskin like I normally do on antler mounts.
    Any ideas?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

If that is the one I am thinking of, I have used it and it was really nice. I put together one last season for a client. I used a set of sheds on it and it was easy to set the angles with. Is the one you are looking at aluminum? I think the one I used was machined aluminum.

3. mrdux

mrdux Member

I think that is correct Matt. They appear to be a pin and socket set up where you can adjust the angles of the antlers. I'm wondering if I could get the antlers set to the correct angle, lock the set screws then build a dam and cover the entire set-up in bondo to lock everything in place?

4. Matt

Matt Active Member

Yes, you can, but I would fit the cape first and make sure they are set right before a final covering of bondo.

5. coyote4

coyote4 Member

mrdux, I hadn't seen an adjustable shed connector for moose, so I looked it up. It looks good but the description says for medium sized moose. I know you stated that the sheds you have to mount are huge. If so, I personally would be hesitant about putting the huge sheds on the aluminum bracket. There is a large difference between the weight of medium and huge moose sheds. Are yours canadian or alaskan moose sheds? I have a pattern that works for me so I weld up my own brackets and they can be removable or permanent.

6. check out racked out www.racked-out.com he has a couple different options. Tell him I sent you