1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First time tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tlangs31, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tlangs31

tlangs31 New Member

I tried to tan 2 squirrels and 2 deer capes and I dont think any of them turned out right. I dont no if it was the salt I used that caused it or the temperature. I used rock salt and the temperature didn't stay over 70 deg. So my question is can I go ahead and flesh and turn everything on the rest of my hides and salt them and just fold them up and set them aside until it is summer so that the temperature is warmer so im not trying to wash hides in 20 deg. temperatures. If i go ahead and salt the hides now will they be ok to let sit folded up until summer? And will it hurt the hides to be folded?

2. Don't use rock salt. Get a fine grain salt (non iodized) and make sure you rub it in real good. I've salted hides in cold weather with no issues - not that I prefer to though! Some say not to pickle/tan in cold temps. I agree its not ideal! When I first started I pickled and tanned in cold temps and things turned out ok to practice with. Do you have a basement or mud room you can work in?

3. tlangs31

tlangs31 New Member

No my grandma has a building that she quilts in that i used but it didn't stay above 65 deg. in there and the tan and pickle both say it needs to be that temp. Also the water was from an outside spicket and it was really cold.