1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Gadwall hybrid?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by young taxidermist, Jan 6, 2011.

1. young taxidermist

young taxidermist New Member

Hi all, Im an avid duck hunter with a majority of my bag consisting of teal and gadwall. While on a hunt last week I killed what I thought was a male gadwall but after further review now im not to sure. My duck look almost exactly like this http://my.opera.com/RobinL/blog/?startidx=345 with the head being two toned. Difference is mine had a slight hood running from the top of his head down to his neck. Small like a green winged teals. The top part of the head actually had a green/ purple tint to it as you moved it diferent ways like a mallards speculum would turn purple to blue, but from the side the dominant color was dark brown. Sorry I do not have pics as the duck is already at the taxidermist. Without me even stating any of this my taxidermist opens the bag and says" wow this ducks been doing some fooling around" and insisted he had never seen any pure gadwalls look like this before. Does anyone have opinions, or see this color phase often in different parts of the country. BTW im in Meraux LA. Just about as far south as you can go in the Us.

2. young taxidermist

Actually just found this and it's the exact bird I killed. Still would like opinions. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=115680

3. wingman

wingman Active Member

I clicked on that second link and laughed, The mounted Gad photo was a photo of a bird I mounted almost 10 years ago for a wholesale client out of Minnesota, It was a pure Gad drake no hybrid in it at all. OLD mature drakes with the right genetics will show that color in their crown with age Just another way to gauge a "trophy" duck LOL

4. young taxidermist

Gosh It took me a while to even realize that seacond link was acutally a mount it looks too perfect I thought it was a drawing. lol. Good work. Btw. thanks for your info. About how much of a rarity is this? once in a lifetime, once in a season, fairly common... etc?

5. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

A purple-headed gadwall is a real trophy. I have heard that they are more common in some areas than in others, but I have only seen about half a dozen of them in over 35 years of doing taxidermy. They have to be super mature and genetically superb to look like that. Congratulations!

6. wick

wick New Member

Wow, my gadwall picture gets around. I actually shot that bird last year, guess I had better pull him out of the freezer and get busy on it. Out of all the years duck hunting (22) and hundreds of gadwall later, that is the first with the white ring and purple head that I have seen. We have shot many gad's that are the size of large mallards but none like that dude. Now I need to figure out the proper pose for him.

7. young taxidermist

Thanks all. Im really excited now, and to think this bird was two seconds from being plucked. I looked through my phone and actually did find a pic. Im going to try and figure out how to post it just incase anyone wants to look. Btw the bird is already at the taxidermist being dead mounted. Thanks again.

8. young taxidermist

[​IMG]

9. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

I sure would not dead mount a trophy bird like the one you are showing in your picture, just saying.

10. jjohnson3978

jjohnson3978 Member

That there bird belongs under glass....just sayin!

11. young taxidermist

ah, I knew someone would confirm what I knew. I was thinking the same thing but not wanting to admit it to myself. My other options aside dead mount were there. [​IMG] [​IMG] Does anyone else have any sugjestions on a pose to maby show off his uniqueness?

12. wingman

wingman Active Member

IMO your trophy should just be a nicely done standing/resting bird in an executive case with habitat and covered in glass. Cant go wrong with that "combo"

13. Guerra

Guerra New Member

Hey Young Taxidermist, I'm from Yscloskey/Shell Beach originally. I moved to higher ground after Katrina. PM me. We may know each other. I used to venture up north to the Meraux area occaisionally.

14. Gene, I laughed as well. The photo of the head shot of the dead bird was one I had posted on here before. My buddy in Texas shot that bird a couple years ago on a farm pond. I will also agree, that both birds are pure gadwall. I have seen the ring on the neck black, white, or none at all, and would speculate that he purple hue comes with age as well.

15. Chad-wick (I get the wick part now), is that you? I was the one who posted that picture....hope you don't mind? Did I get the story straight? Texas? Farm pond? By the way, I went back and looked at the email, it was sent in December of 2009, so you had better get to gettin' because it's been in there 2 years now. Probably not even mountable. If you want to send it to me I'll take care of it for you! LOL