1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Nice bobcat Eye, found on net

Discussion in 'Mammal Reference Photos' started by Scared Stiff, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Don't take any credit for this one, just found it.
    [​IMG]

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Great shots showing the color of the nictitating membrane. It also would have been useful when a judge and I were discussing the scleral band. He claimed it was almost never visible, unless there was extreme eye rotation. Both of those eyes look fairly relaxed, and the scleral band shows in both of them. Thanks for sharing what you found.

3. Cole, being a big time beginner and not knowing what the crap I'm doing half the time, it seems that on a normal house cat, don't you sometimes see the scleral band usually right after an animal blinks? I don't know why, it just seems like I have seen it happen before. They blink, and when they do it is pulled into view but then receeds away.

4. What you are seeing is the nictitating membrane, sometimes referred to as the third eyelid, it sweeps across the eye as the animal blinks.

Attached Files:

5. Cool, thanks!

6. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Nice pic's

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yeah, Matt's right. You are probably seeing the nic when the cat blinks. In the 2 pics you posted though, I can see the sclera in the back corners.

8. I just want to point out that the first photo has the worth1000 logo on it. Worth1000 is a website that has photoshop contests and digital art competitions - so that might be a digitally edited photo!

It looks real to me but I just thought I would point that out.