1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

White eight pointer

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Joe Mc, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

I got a white eight point last night and caped it for full mount.
    My ? is, there is a lot of blood on the hair side of cape, is there a safe way to wash off the blood in the raw state or should I just salt first.
    If salt first what is the best way to get blood off after salting.
    Thanks for any info, This hide has got me a little shook up since it is irreplaceable.

2. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Im a little confused but ill try. Ok, dont worry about the blood on the hair side. It wont stain. IF you would feel better you can rub dry preservative on the blood areas of the hair side and wipe it of. It will amaze you. I assume that you are salting after you flesh it. I also assume you are going to tan it since you are salting it. During rehydration and pickling the blood will vanish. Ive had deer with large white areas that were bloody also. I proceeded as normal and the blood vanished. An old dper taught me the dp trick-not that its a trick really. DP rubbed on the hair and in minutes brushed off will absorb all of the blood. good luck

3. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

OK thanks, I'm not a DP tanner, so will plane Borax work?

4. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I think you are better off just rinsing it with cold water if you are going to salt and tan it, or salt and send it out to be tanned. Just get as much of the water off it before salting. DP can effect the pH of a tan creating other problems. If it really isn't that bad, add some bloodeater to a rehydration bath before pickling to get the blood out of it. I prefer the ultra soft with some blood- eater in it as a rehydration bath to remove blood after salting. If you are sending it out, just rinse off as much as possible before salting.

5. AKfurbearer

AKfurbearer New Member

You aren't located in Iowa or Illinois are you. There is a nice 8 pointer living on a state reserve there that they keep a pretty good eye on. Game and fish wouldn't be too Happy about that.

6. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

No Offense but it sounds like you are a beginner and you don't know what your doing..........
    If this Deer is important to you then I would recommend practicing on one that's not before you attempt one that is.........
    Don't worry about the blood until you are ready to rehydrate for the pickle...........then you can rinse out the blood before the pickle(No Detergent).

7. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

OK; The reason I'm asking about the blood is because I will send this out to be tanned, The tannery I use always wants the cape to be salt dried. This is how I did capes in the past 8 years to be exact. The problem is salt does not set the hair correct? The capes sit in the tannery until they can get to them, while sitting there don't the bacteria start to grow on the blood, that is on the hair side, that will cause it to slip. Ive been to the tannery quite a few times so I know how all the hides are treated. Not to bring George into this (sorry George) but he also has used this tanner from my readings on this site. I have had them come back and slip bad, and think the problem is to much blood on the hair.
    To AKfurbearer sorry I didn't know you had the only white 8 point in the country. That also lives in a state reserve because it knows its safe there. You need to read up on your deer biology A buck will travel 5 miles while in rut, so if he gets out he's fair game. Ive been hunting for 42 years and comments like this makes all of us respectful HUNTERS look bad, so keep stupid comments off the site.

8. TD

OK.........I wouldn't wet the cape.........Maybe rub in some borax powder and absorb some of the blood and moister then salt and dry and off to the Tannery.........
    It wouldn't hurt to rub in some salt on the bloody areas..........GL

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I wouldn't get borax within a mile of a cape to be sent out unless the tannery suggests to do so.

Get ahold of the tannery that you are using and ASK them!

10. TD

Why ........Does the Borax effect the tan?
    I never had any problems in the past when I salted,pickled and tanned............
    I always rinsed my capes before the pickle though so the borax was rinsed out.............
    Also Ive never had a problem with all the Soft Tan Hides I sent to the Tannery that I used borax on to absorb some of the blood?...........

11. cyclone

It will affect the pH when they re-hydrate the cape, probably in a batch.

Why not detergent?

12. TD

I was all ways under the impression that the Detergent had a high pH.....Is this not so?
    Does the Borax have a High pH as well?............

13. cyclone

Yes, borax will pH above 9. Depending on the brand dish detergent they can also be around 9 but not always...

Borax, however, will neutralize acids where detergents will have less of an effect..

14. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

Thank you for your insight, it is appreciated. Another question, Would it be best if I wash the cape in Kemal-4 and some NBU in cold water with some salt? Then towel dry and then salt the cape flint dry?

15. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I wouldn't want to get the whole cape wet unless I absolutely have to. You are better off just trying to spray some water on the bloody area and soaking it up off the hide. Towels, paper towels, or salt to get the moisture out of the area and then salt dry. If it really isn't that bad I'd leave it alone. I'm guessing by now the blood has dried on the hair side anyway and would just salt as normal. It may wise to contact your tannery, and let them know about it, and find out from them how they want you to handle it on your end.

16. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

I skinned and froze it within 5 hours after harvesting it. Ill call tannery tomorrow, I believe no one is in the office today.

17. TD

Cyclone.........I always used the Borax to help with the Skinning/Fleshing...........I never really piled it on the capes........
    but ..........that's good advice......... to call the tannery..........Thinks for the Constructive input...........

18. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Member

Drove it up to the tannery today frozen, they said they would take care of it. Thanks for the replies.

19. TD

Did You ask them about the Borax?

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Cyclone already answered your borax question, don't use it. If you need something for more grip use salt.