1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Linseed oil, yo!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Head Hunting Iowan, Jan 7, 2011.

1. I'm going to start putting this junk on my horns, my question is "boiled" linseed oil ok? I've never heard of it used, just plain linseed oil, unless it all comes that way. Actually another question, cut it with something or straight?

2. Boiled.. cut it with turpentine 50/50. I believe it is George's recipe.
    Looks good on antlers..I don't think it looks right on sheep if you apply anymore than very lightly. Just my opinion

3. slammerdude

slammerdude Member

Yes boiled linseed oil cut with turpentine 50/50 mix. Georges recipe from what I gather. Gives a nice natural shine back to horns. I have used it on buffalo,ox,antelope and Dall sheep, with great results. I mix a little together in a cup and wipe on with a rag. Be careful the warnings on the cans say rags can spontaneously combust. Store in a metal can when done and reuse. Don't mix more than you need it gets gummy.

4. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

HHI I use it on dry antlers or ones that have some residue left from cleaning on the horns. Make sure you do cut it 50/50 or it will gum up on the horns. Another trick I do is if a customers antlers had a bunch of bark, sap and mud in the bases from rubbing you can take dirt or planters mix and grind it into the horns after applying and it will give a little of that effect back to the horn.

5. Sweet nectar, thanks guys. I dunno if I'll ever need it for a customer, this is for my own stuff.

6. coop1212

coop1212 Active Member

ms
    Where did you pick that up ay

7. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah

awesome

8. greatwhitehunter

greatwhitehunter New Member

You can buy it in the paint department of your local hardware store, or with all of the various silver polishing compounds, etc.

As far as the spontaneous combustion goes.... a few thoughts.
    Balling up the rags is what you want to avoid, whether they're in a metal can or not. The best way to avoid combustion is to fill the metal can 1/2 or 2/3 with water and submerge the rags. The next best thing I've found is just to lay the rags spread out on my workbench and they'll dry up, usually overnight. Then they can be disposed of in the trash.

9. Yo Joe - This gemsbok's horns has the mix on it. ;)

Dull, dirty and nasty before.

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      58.3 KB
      Views:
  10. Nice!