1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

estimated price on deer if you were to buy them for insurance on burnt heads

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by codys trophy, Jan 7, 2011.

1. i am looking for someone to give me an offer as to what they would pay for deer shoulder mounts and some coyote mounts. heres the deal my parents house burnt to the ground last sunday and in the house was a lifetime of trophys my father had taken. these had great sentamental value to them 8 or 10 whitetail shoulder mounts and a few coyote mounts. the insurance company said in order for him to get anything for them he had to get offers on how much they were worth if someone was to buy them. all i would need is for someone to say and put on paper this is what i would have paid for them individualy. a lot of these were not great taxidermy work as they were what i practiced on as a kid but that is why they had so much sentimental value to him any help would be greatly appreciated. there is nothing left from after they burnt but i have pictures of before they were burnt and can send them to anyone willing to help. thank you all.

2. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

i would go to the highest priced taxidermist in your area and get him to give you a price that it would cost to have the mounts done , get him to give you as high a price as possible ,because you can bet if the insurance pays out anything they will have all kinds of reasons why they will deduct money off the estimate you give them. good luck

on second thought i think i would go on line and print off a price list from someone like animal artristy in Reno NV and give that to the insurance

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

That's insurance fraud! I've worked with insurance companies before and they've always honored "HONEST" appraisals that I've done for both the client and insurance adjusters.

You have pictures of them. Go to Ebay and find out what equivalent racks are bringing(actually selling for) add the cost of materials (form eyes, liners etc) for each one and submit that. If you were honest in your appraisal...... "a lot of these were not great taxidermy work as they were what i practiced on as a kid".......You will get what they were worth. Sorry, but "sentimentality" has NO VALUE. And FORTUNATELY poor taxidermy doesn't either.

Do what ljones suggests and you will likely get nothing and possibly you and your parents will end up in court. The insurance company will have their own appraisal done from the pictures and they will see right through a fraudulent claim.

4. ljones

why would you think getting the highest estimate possible would be fraud ??? you have the right to get estimates where ever you want, sure the insurance wants you to get a cheap estimate, the same way they would want you to have your wrecked car repaired at the cheapest body shop in town, if you go with a lower estimate i don't think it would be likely for the insurance to come back a say" oh thats not enough for your loss let us give you more" . the insurance company will be out to pay the least amount possible how else do you think they afford those fancy high rise buildings.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Cody, you're in a lose, lose situation. New tax laws have removed ALL the value of even museum quality work. I don't know that it's fraud, but it's a damned good start at it. You're soliciting a "straw sale". If it had been your mother's diamond ring, the ring would have to have been APPRAISED as to it's real value. In this case, you have nothing of real value. Intrinsic value is worthless as OF stated. If he'd had the Jordan buck and had a bid for "X" dollars, then that's one thing, but run of the mill deer and small game won't cut it. You'll sleep better at night to just write them off. I have a house full of trophies TO ME, but when I die, I'm sure the garbage man is going to have first and last dibs on all of them.

6. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

One thing to remember is that an insurance company can't replace sentimental value.

7. dc240nt

dc240nt Lets Talk Big Bucks!!

I have done several appraisals for people who wanted to insure their antlers/mounts. From my research I have found that you may get retail value for the antlers only. The mounts and/or the cost of them will not be considered. Yes, you can check ebay. If you had a set that "net" scored 130 inches you will get an idea what they sell for. But this does not constitute an appraisal, and that is what you will need in order to possibly receive anything from insurance. Another thing, your homeowners may not cover them at all. If you would have run over them out in the driveway with your car, there probably wouldnt be any question whether they would cover them. But because they were lost in a personal home fire I'd be willing to bet they will not be covered unless there was a seperate rider (sp?) for the mounts. Check with your insurance company first. Then ask for a complete copy of your insurance, take it to an attorny for interpritation. Just because your insurance agent tells you they arnt covered does not mean you should believe him. Also, your appraisels will have to come from people who deal in such things. Ebay will not work for an official appraisal, it should only give you an idea of where the appraised values should be. Appraisels can come from antler deals, auction houses, museums, antler collectors. There are a few guys around that will do them but they are not free. Scores and pictures of each set would be needed for evaluation. Yes, I can do it myself if you are interested. There are also a few other guys on this site that could do it if they wanted to.

8. Our experience here in MN is that taxidermy mounts are personal property with specific regards to an insurance claim. They have a value that is at a minimum equal to the cost of reproducing the mount ..value of specimen or antler plus cost for the taxidermy work..mounts of significantly higher value like the Broder Buck or ? need to be listed specifically with appraisals..like expensive jewelry or coin collections..there are several individuals out there that are recognized by the insurance industry as appraisers of taxidermy mounts..We use Don Schaffler of Ennis Montana for appraisers for our customers.
    Kevin

9. Well in PA. we insure your contents of the house for waht the replacment value is. Let the insurance company have a shot at the estimate first. Give them a price list and phone number of "reputable" taxidermists and if they say you have to do it that gives YOU the right to get the estimate. That will show them that you are not trying to "steal" their money. Therefore there is no fraud. If they don't like your estimate they have a right to challenge it but none the less you should get re-imbersed. They are of value and not just sentimental. Make a call to your lawyer. They will tell you step by step.

10. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    I have never been in this situtation, but have often wondered about this. How do you put the value on say an elk. It cost $750.00
    to get it mounted, but what about the $1500.00 it cost to kill it? Travel, lodging ect. should this be included in the value? Just
    curious.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Nope, and the insurance company will not cover the food that you ate while on the hunt either. They are not going to pay for another hunt and lodging to shoot another Elk,, what planet do you live on? LOL You get the value of what burnt up only. Form, eyes, ear liners and replacement rack off of ebay.

12. ljones

" I have a house full of trophies TO ME, but when I die, I'm sure the garbage man is going to have first and last dibs on all of them."

that a good one George, i like it ;D

13. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Thanks mrt, like i said, just curious and by the way i live on the same sad a$$ planet you live on. lol I just got off the phone with my insurance man and asked him this
    same question, and he told me if you had a writer on the whole expence it would be covered. The same goes with any mounts,guns,rings ect. Its just like everything
    else you better ask because they are not going to offer it. Alot of people are going to be shocked if this happens to them. Who can afford to put writers on all that
    stuff.

14. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

If you add it as a rider, let's say a large 375 elk mount and put a value on the rider of $2000. It will probably only cost you $50 a year. It's actually pretty cheap to add it as a rider. On some companies it's called scheduled personal property. Listed under your Section 1 of the policy. All companies are different though.

15. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

Nope.........just like if you bought a vase or ring overseas. You insure the item, not what you spent going to get it..

16. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

Price similar antlers off ebay; then add the price of mounting with replacement capes.

17. Laurier

Laurier Active Member

insurance companies in the states , do they not give you , REPLACEMENT VALUE !!!! if so that would entail more then just taxidermy work , cost of a cape and horns , this is not wal-mart you can't buy it in the store , so please explain this to me , insurance in the states can't be much different then Canada ?

18. talked to the insurance guys and they said to get a price from someone that would have bought them when they were still good. they said that this is what i was suppose to do. they said it isnt fraud and they would be covered everything has some value. even trees. are covered under some insurance policies. this is what they said to do. and showed some pictures to another taxidermist here in illinopis and he said they were better than i thought they were. as fare as quality. fruad i dont know how that could be. all these mounts were between 140 and 165 inch deer

19. ive done fire replacement trophies and the insurance co.paid the actual cost(invoice reciept) of when it was mounted with a slight adjustment for price increase to todays market

20. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Ummmm,,, Insurance companies in both countries,,, talk to each other on the telephone. They are birds of a feather, you think Canidian Insurance Companies are "nicer" than American ones? Don't think so. A crook is a crook.