1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

tool list

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by cobowhunter, Jan 8, 2011.

1. i am wanting to get everything i need in order to mount a coyote, badger, fox, deer and maybe a rug or two. Can someone give me a list of what I need to order in tools and tanning supplies to get started so I have the right tools on hand. I am a beginner at this. I have skinned pelts but thats it.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

2. I have been just starting out. Let me tell you, as my opinion, the best tool you can have is a very sharp blade. I found some place on ebay, you can get a handle, and 100 scalpel blades for like 9 bucks. I just finished a bobcat using them, and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Honestly, most of the stuff you need, IE modeling tools, can be home made. You can go to a crafts store and get decent clay modeling tools. Reference!!!! You don't have to buy it, there is plenty on here. Just look. You don't need a ton of fancy equipment, but honestly, reading on here made me realize, there is a lot of stuff that you just don't need. Look in catalogs. Why pay 10 bucks for a water sprayer when you can get one at the dollar store. In another of my opinions, the most important thing is to go look at all of the tutorials. Look at what is being used. The one thing I don't have, that I would like to have is an ear opener. Think I saw one with a hole in it for stripping tails. When I did the bobcat, I used a pair of pliers to hold the tail bone (I had cut it off) and I think it was a 7mm wrench. Was amazed at how easily the tail slid out. The list is endless. But then again, If you have ever watched one of the Dan Chase videos, he shows you how to do a complete deer with a pocket knife. Go figure.

3. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    Let me first say I am a beginner myself, with that said you can get away with the bare minimum or makeshift tool if you choose. But if your serious , even just part time get the right tools. Why handicap yourself from the start with subpar equipment? ear openers for example are worth their weight in gold to me. skife , scalpel, razor blades, x acto knife you may try them all before you find your favorite. my advice is to get a video like Rick Carters white tail video and take notes for everthing he does and uses. watch it 5 or 6 times you will see things you missed. I guarantee if you drop some cash on tools you wont give up so easily. good luck. also the most valuable tool youlve already found Taxinet!!!

4. Thanks guys just curious where to start. I am at the begining!!!