1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Metal Ear Tag

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mooser, Jan 9, 2011.

1. ANDY

ANDY Well-Known Member

Ohio

2. TROPHY SHACK

TROPHY SHACK Phillip cole

im with antlerman on this its someone stiring the pot :-\

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Andy, he's too freakin sanctimonious to see that. He'd better stay up there in Alaska. If he got down here in the world we live in, where big brother is always looking over your shoulder, his lilly white ethos might be challenged.

AK, you're obviously not well versed in the English language. EVERYONE'S ethics is a constantly changing medium. When you're a kid, shooting a mockingbird with a BB gun was just fine, but would you do it today? Shooting birds, when you get to your limit, do you stop hunting even though you weren't able to retrieve all that you shot? IS it OK to shoot a bear out of season if it's raiding your pantry? Now those are just hunting related questions that are meant to be rhetorical. But don't you sit there and try to pass judgement on me and how I live my life based on your own distorted sense of omnipotence. You're just one more hypocrite, just different.

4. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    wow, pretty judgemental for a ethical guy, so what your saying is your offensive when no one is looking too? jeeeez take some prozac or a nap or something.

5. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Too many unanswered questions, mooser. Since the elk came to you caped, how do you know the cape is from the same animal the rack came from? Do you know, for a fact, where the elk was taken? Or is everything you know about it just "hearsay". We all know that "details" get changed to make the hunter look better. If you were "there" and can verify irregularities then, by all means speak up. But if what you are saying is "second hand", you'd best stay out of it. It sounds like the "changing" details are known to others, too. It could be a case of the hunter not wanting anyone to know where he really took the animal and the changing story is to keep that hidden. I KNOW a LOT of fishermen like that! Hell, I won't even tell my brother-in-laws where I hunt grouse.

6. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Yikes, now we are defining ethics and who spells the worst? Im checking outta this one, see you all around another campfire.

7. You guys are too funny.

8. Brent W

Brent W New Member

It seems there was no problem with mounting the animal until the customer complained. Now there is cause for an investigation. Im not sure we are getting the whole story.

9. jorgy

jorgy Member

I think this is a lot different than finding a slug in an archery tagged deer. It's a civil matter with P&Y and not a legal matter with game and fish. I only do 20 or so heads a year, work full time in law enforcement, and have to make at least one call a year because of a poached deer.

If he wants it in the stupid book then let him have it in there. He knows the truth and has to live with it

10. Big Tine

Big Tine have a great day

dude get your $ and role

11. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

It would be unethical to falsely accuse someone, especially with as little evidence you have. That metal tag could have any number of reasonable, legal and ethical explanations, some of which have already been mentioned. If the guy is a jerk, send it to the P&Y for them to investigate. But, if he is exonerated, word may very well leak out who the information and the false accusation came from and that could indeed affect your reputation and your business. I do believe in honesty, integrity and ethical/moral living, but I'm not sure I would want to do business with anyone who takes it upon themselves to look for some type of unethical behavior on my part over a suspicion, especially one that I was not first asked about directly. A "PITA" customer will end up reaping what he sows with or without your help. IMO

12. fatguy

fatguy New Member

Mooser,
    Is the elk in question the one that was used for a guess the score contest at a banquet in Rapid City last year? Whether it is or isn't I think you should do the right thing and notify the P&Y club at the least.

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I refuse to knowingly aid and abet a liar, thief, cheat, poacher, whatever. If I have doubts, I find out. I will not be sucked in to being a part of the scam. This gives ME a bad image. Looking the other way, or simply "keeping my nose out" is one of the things that perpetuates the belief by some that taxidermists are crooks. To simply ignore it for the almighty dollar makes one no better than the crook. If you do that you are one.

14. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Randy, there's a big difference in ignoring what we speculate and ignoring what we know. If you're defending chasing windmills, the reputation you'll get from your customers will be much more damaging that trying to play Miss Goody Twoshoes. No one likes a snitch and though YOU might admire yourself for that quality, others don't share that. This is NOT a violation of any laws and you're hired to perform a service. Your tirade sounds a lot like pharmacists who refused to sell "morning after" pills or doctors who refused to treat criminals. No one asked you to change your character or impugn your own integrity. We just said that it's really none of your business. A hefty lawsuit or two for "character assassination" or "slander" might convince you of what we've said here.

15. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

My neighbors dog crapped in my yard. I think I will go step in it just because I don't like his dog crapping in my yard. That'll show them.

16. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

OK........This one might be boarder line but..........
    What would you do if you mounted a deer and identified that it was Stolen from another hunter (at a Processor or maybe a recape) and you are the only one that knows?

17. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    Report it, Boom! thats it! If I know for a fact ! Done deal! And I dont care which of my customers didnt like it.

18. .

That is over the boarder and totally different, this guy doesn't know the truth other than a guy being dishonest, possibly. Your guy is a thief and has broken the law, if you know for a fact he did what you say

19. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

You're very confused.

20. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

OK ......Suppose He quietly discovers the truth and it can be proven (before any Accusations)...............then what.........