1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stringer mounts

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Scot, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Scot

Scot Guest

I have a customer that requested a stringer mount of 4 crappies. I just finished the mounts and am still undecided on what to put them on. I only can think of two things, barn siding which I cannot find, or maybe the bark slab in the mckenzie book. Anybody have any ideas and is there any supplier that has anything thanks in advance.

2. GregStehlingandSons

GregStehlingandSons Montana Bull Trout Reproduction

We've put crappie stringers on large pieces of driftwood with good results.

3. I have done several and used a large piece of driftwood on a couple and used the bark slabs on a couple, both look equally good, really depends on the size of the fish you have.

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Speaking of Stringer Mounts. I've got one coming up here in a couple of months and I'm a bit torn on how to do the mounts. I have a feeling the customer is the driving factor here, but just about every stringer mount I've seen looks totally unnatural. The fish are spread out - defying gravity. And the spacing between each fish is always the same. Also with no overlap. Al with side views too. I'm leaning towards somewhere in the middle-ground. I'll probably call my customer back and offer some advice and get some answers (I was in a hurry the day he dropped off his 7 panfish.). Another issue I didn't even think about was he requested one of the safety pin type of stringers. His Bluegill are maybe 9" average. The safety pins are going to be 2/3'rds the size of each fish! I think it's going to look silly. Again, I'll probably call him back and try to steer him towards a rope-type stringer instead. He'll probably think I'm trying to save $10 bucks though - lol! I'm kind've kicking myself for not taking the time when he was here. But I did take in 15 fish that day and it was a nuthouse around here. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that this will be my first stringer mount. I suspect most don't do too many of them though, due to their expense. So any advice would be appreciated...

5. GregStehlingandSons

As far as spacing goes, most customers seem to prefer enough spacing so each fish can be clearly viewed- however unnatural that may be. I would use a metal stringer, even if it dwarfs the fish a little. A rope type stringer can be difficult to get through the gills after the fish is mounted. We have a stringer mount on our website www.gregandsonsfish.com you can check out- the customer requested we "flag" the fins on this one , as fish can do as there lifted out of the water on the stringer.

6. FishArt

Holy Cow!!! BigTime operation. I don't think I've used that many artificial heads in my LIFE let alone at one sitting. Nice website too.

I knew the customer would be the driving factor here. Your stringer mount looks much better than many I've seen. And the safety-pin stringer looks pretty good. I hadn't even thought about the string getting caught in the gills. Thanks for that little tidbit as well! You have some minor overalp here and there and the spacing changes between mounts. I like it. Is that A Cedar plank you've mounted them to? Where do you get something like that?

7. Fish-Man-Dan

Fish-Man-Dan Fish Taxidermist

Another suggestion is to do the stringer horizontal instead of vertical.

8. GregStehlingandSons

FishArt- you can get the cedar panels at Timberline of the Ozarks in MO # 660-438-9452 tell them we sent you.
    Thanks for looking at our site and the nice comments. We checked out your site-your work looks excellent!

9. den007

den007 Active Member

I hate 'em! Why would anyone want to portray a bunch of dead fish on a rope??? Of course, I do them, but don't enjoy it. Stay away from the rope through the gills....it is a pain! Horizontal can be easier than vertical. There was some company that had gold-plated stringers with smaller clips for attachments, but I cannot remember who that is. Then there is the positioning of the "meat pole" which is a pain with a vertical mount. Maybe I am alone in these feelings, I just always try to talk folks into a pedestal mount or something else that looks alive.

10. FishArt

http://order.matuskataxidermy.com/detail.aspx?ID=1797

Matuska sells them for $22 bucks. Funny thing is my customer is spending $700+ bucks for a stringer mount and he didn't want to spend the extra $10 bucks for the gold plated one! (I think I might toss it in there for free. Might be a good gesture for future work) Thanks for all the advice folks. Some nice looking mounts...

11. den007

den007 Active Member

Funny how all those "dead" fish look so lively on a stringer. C'mon, a real stringer faithfully reproduced is boring! How do those dead fish have such a nice curvature and fully exteneded fins??? I still hate 'em!

12. GregStehlingandSons

We are no fans of the dead stringer look either. We prefer the fish looking "alive" on the stringer- like they were just pulled out of the water.Of course on a "real" stringer you would probably find a few dead ones mixed in with the live fish. The customers always seem to want the live look.

13. Scott if you need butternut slabs for your stringer mounts give me a call 715-478-5722 e-mail [email protected]

14. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I usually do them on barn board as in this pic:

[​IMG]

I did six crappies for this customer but he wanted two stringers of three fish.

For those of you that have not done them before be sure to screw the fish into the board to keep them from moving around. I also find it easier to take the clips off of the stringer and attach them to the fish before putting the clips back on the stringer.

To each his own but I've never used one of the golden stringers and would probably try to talk the customer out of one. I think they look stupid and gaudy not to mention I don't know anyone that uses one in real life.

Funny thing is a barn is falling down across the street but I can't get the Mexicans that live there to sell me any of the wood! I was really nice and gave them my card but the husband said he would talk to the wife and never got back to me. For the life of me I can't understand why they wouldn't want to make some cash on a barn that is falling down! Maybe they are hiding something as they keep some very late hours over there! I'm going to keep trying though.

15. JasonMoe

JasonMoe New Member

This is a mount I finished this fall. I also found it easier to take the snaps off the stringer and put them on the fish first, then mount the fish to the wood, then hook them back on the stringer. I'm going to be adding a few more fish to it.
    [​IMG]

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Hmmm... There must be an echo in here. ;D

17. bassin

bassin New Member

Cecil nice paint job on those crappie really like them.

18. Scrubby

Scrubby New Member

Yep a Stringger mount normally is wanted to dress the wall up and look real pretty but give your input to the customer. The bottom line is who is paying for your services and what does he want. We can guide them the easy way out is to just hang em . Putting them on driftwood layed according to the angle of the wood looks natural and nice too. I always put a heavy wire in my stringger mounts fugure where they are going to hang attach them and then attach the stringger. some time I will cut the clip and let it hang inside the mount so you don't have to finangle the wire in the mouth and gill area of a bluegill. Just laying the fins out will cause you problems when it comes time to hang them on the board.

19. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

I got 3 perch I just mounted and was wondering what to do with them. The strinnger idea is great. Thank You for the great ideas and photos. Mark

20. FishArt

Hmmmm, there must be an echo in here, in here, in here, in here - lol!