1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African Lion Whiskers

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Duckslayr, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Does anyone know what the most authentic replacement whiskers would be for an African lion mount? I intend to enter it in competition, so broom bristles won't cut it.

Thanks, Jared Green.

2. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Maybe it's wrong of me to feel the way I do, and if it is tuff chit.

I will point you in the right direct this time as you have come here asking a legit question and used what I assume is your real name, but to ask for trade secrets in your very first post about something that is to be used in a competition is well, pretty brass of you in my opinion. However, let me start by saying welcome to the site. There are vast amounts of knowledge shared here amongst fellow taxidermists. Maybe you'll stick around and see the value in whats here and get to know some of the people you are asking for direction from. With that said, find some African porcupine quills. Not the big hard ones, but the smaller softer ones. They are unbelievably convincing. GL with your competition. Hope to see your post count grow and perhaps give a little something back in the furure. It's kind of a fair trade agreement.

3. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey Jared,

I'd be more than happy to give you advice, with no strings attached, as I have for countless individuals. If you like, you can avoid the snotty remarks thrown out at you by contacting my directly, with either a PM, or best yet, via e-mail! ;)

Might I also suggest my book: "The Breakthrough - Art Of The Big Cat - Manual", as it contains everything you will need to know to successfully mount any large cat, most especially the African Lion. ;) It is available through WASCO, and most every other supplier out there.

As per your inquiry, the very best hairs are those found on Warthog. Either the hairs that run along the crest of their necks, or those found on either side of the cheeks.

These are examples of the hairs I am referring to ...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps. I know I have some ... somewhere, and I'm sure you can get some from some other very helpful professional Taxidermists that frequent this site. If I find my stash, I'll let you know. If you like, e-mail me your mailing address, and when and if I find them, I'll shoot some off to you. No problemo ... no strings attached! ;)

Take care,
    John.

4. antlerman

Hey John......Now that you have called me on my arrogant smart ass post, I will take heed and apologize to this person for my being a jerk. Momental lapse and apology sent. Now will you follow suit and clean your act up around here with all your smart assed comments? Above you act like you a saint. However there's pages and pages of your crap. You gonna go back now and apologize to everyone also?? If so, it may take awhile. Good Luck with that.

5. LordRusty

Ohio
    Tim ... I have nothing to apologize for ... least of all to the likes of you, and those in the know, know why. Don't throw rocks ... you, unlike most of the rest of the people here, have a much bigger sin to answer for. So back the **** off. You are deserving of nothing from me but disdain, revulsion, and pure unmitigated hatered. Do not expect anything more. You do not deserve it. And you will never get it.

6. AKfurbearer

AKfurbearer New Member

Watch the Warthog, it makes more sense. There seems to be Bladder control issues discussed here. Are you Professionals (?) really that bad off???????

7. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

I thought they were going to ban him?

8. antlerman

[​IMG]

You can use whatever you decide, but here is a cat done using the porky quills. Have john show you one using the hog hairs and then decide for yourself.
    For those (assuming) that hog hairs make more sense, show me a picture and you might change my mind, but I doubt. But you never know.

9. Wow, that tiger looks amazing! Did you do that one?

10. antlerman

No, actually that was mounted by WORLD CHAMPION Dennis Harris for me. It resides in my home. However, John doen't like it, but can't show me one he did to compare it with or show this OP one with hog hairs. Go Figure.

11. He does great work, then. It's fantastic!
    I can't see how another specimen would be able to compete with it... It just looks so life-like.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Those are big pictures.

13. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

ok everyone here's my story on whiskers for a lion......i mounted a ped. mount a few years ago and had the whisker problem also....believe it or not i had a very large old cat that was twenty one years old and had these huge whiskers that were as long as the few that were left on the lion.....my cat was kind enough to allow me to trim the whiskers and use them on the lion.....his grew right back and the lion looked perfect....they were just the right size...

14. LordRusty

Ohio
    Some Warthog hairs were used to enhance the natural whiskers I pulled out of this Lion before mounting. His own whiskers had some split ends from the rough handling in the tanning process, so I added some Warthog hairs to fill out the voids. The smaller whiskers along the top row, were actually salvaged from our own pet cat, Clyde, as he shed his own ... they worked out very well also.

With that said, this Lion mount - with his added Warthog and Clyde's whisker hairs - won it all with a numerical score of 98 - at the last IGT competition I attended back in 1998 - my final year of competing. Also that year, he earned a 96 at the NTA, and was awarded a blue ribbon. Again, he won this with several replacement whiskers using Warthog hairs and a few donations from Clyde's shed whiskers.
    [​IMG]

This Argentine Puma came in with many problems, including a quite a few missing whiskers. Again, Warthog hairs were used for replacements.
    [​IMG]

The nice thing about using Warthog hairs is the ability they allow to dye the bases darker to further mimic the look of big cat whiskers. The finer hairs from a Warthog hide can also be used to replace and enhance the whiskers of smaller cat species as well. I have used Warthog whiskers for years - successfully - on many mounts. What anyone chooses to believe is up to them.

I have an African Wildcat and a Black Backed Jackal to mount for myself, and I'll be using some smaller hairs to replace some missing whiskers on these specimens also, as well as whatever whiskers our own Housecats are willing to shed! ;)

Yeah, Cole, I know the images are large, and normally I reduce these things by quite a lot, but that's the best way I could think of to show the hairs. ;)

John.

15. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

damn, i should have known i wouldn't be the only one to borrow from the house cat....

16. Duckslayr

Duckslayr Active Member

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I appriciate the help

17. wa

wa Thanks John...this depicts me better

John Thanks for posting some of your cat mounts wow!! that's all I can say.

I thought that Puma was alive!!

18. antlerman

Thanks John. I agree, that puma does look alive. Appears you now have choices.

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That puma looks as good as that tiger.

20. LordRusty

Ohio
    LOL ... "Gooder"? ;D Anyway, thanks guys ... much appreciated.

Tim, don't keep saying John doesn't like the Tiger. If you remember correctly, when it was first posted - right after it was mounted - there were some things I pointed out that looked incorrect to me ... I listed those things. When we all saw the Tiger again - finished - those things I mentioned were corrected. In response to someone stating that - and I'm paraphrasing here - "John still won't like it!", I replied ... "What's not to like". I still stand by my last statement ... what's not to like? The Tiger looks beautiful. If you're going to put words in my mouth, at least put them all there. Thanks.

John.