1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Biggest buck to date...bad hide

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by DevinCamPA, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Hey guys...
    Well my cousin shot the biggest buck we've seen down at my cabin. Havent measured it yet but should be around 150....
    I mounted this buck up the other day after tanning it myself...
    Didn't inspect the cape before hand....
    WHile mounting i was freaking out thinking the cape was slipping....but after reveiwing pics, the hide was already in bad shape. Really worn down, thin brisket, looks like it was dragged through everything lol
    Heres a pic before mounting...will get mounted pics asap.
    Thinking of using some habitat to cover the thin hair around the brisket.

Attached Files:

2. nice deer id say high 150s maybe 160 gross. yep Field care is so important

3. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Looks more like tick or ked damage. I see that a lot in mid western deer. Perhaps one of the Illinois guys can elaborate on it but that kind of cape condition is common with the deer I've killed in the mid west. Don't see it much in PA (and never here in the NW corner of the state).

4. he did have some ticks on em.....also full of burrs

5. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I dont know about you guys but i try any way possible to save a cape. Damaged or slipping. Obviously a bad looking mount is not good advertisement and a mount on someones wall with slip spots wont speak well of your work. Mckenzie has done a great job in the way of habitat mount enhancement. At this time i have a smelly cape in a pickle that slipped just right of the brisket. It will show low on the shoulder. My plan of attack is to mount this deer. I will use cocoa brown lightly on these spots. Thanks Bobbi for a great blend/hiding paint. Next i will assemble one of the kits from mckenzie in order to hide this issue. It will cost me roughly $114 bucks. I will eat that. Why? Im new and building my clientel. This hunter has brought in ALOT of work this year. He may be like wow! Looks great but i didnt order that. Its on me. THIS TIME. It was a speacial monster buck and a replacement cape wasnt appealing to he or I. I told him upfront that it would likely slip in the rehydration bath......it did.He said do what i could. Mckenzie has made it possible to remedy slip issues as long as its low and near the low shoulder area.Well, actually you can take it as far as you want but I wouldnt over do it. The brisket area is always more prone to slippage as there is more bacteria in that area-closest to organs, etc.. None of my customers wanted habitat enhancement.........UNTIL I PUT A MOUNT IN MY SHOP WITH IT. YOU DO THE SAME AND THEY WILL WANT IT. Just like the biggest deer in your shop-they want it mounted like that one.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Order this, http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=185&Category_ID=7&Sub_Category_ID=0 it's only $42.95 (not $114) and you have done it yourself.

I'm not knocking Mc Kenzie, but they have not "made it possible to remedy slip issues as long as its low and near the low shoulder area"........YOU can make that possible, by doing a custom job yourself. Not every "pre-made" rock fits every situation.

Here is a deer from the video covering brisket slippage. This deer cost less than $3 in materials to fix and took all of 15 minutes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can keep using pre-made for $50-$125 or do it yourself for pennies on the dollar, charge the same amount and put that money in your pocket.

Customers like it more and will have more confidence in your ability when "you" do it over having to "order" a fix for everything :)

Good luck,
    Michael

7. mike108

mike108 New Member

PA
    "Order this, http://www.kastaway.com/store/store_product_detail.cfm?Product_ID=185&Category_ID=7&Sub_Category_ID=0 it's only $42.95 (not $114) and you have done it yourself."

X2 definately worth the money.

8. michael p.

Here's a little example. I finished these three bucks tonight. Notice the one in the middle.......................

[​IMG]

He had a short cut brisket on a 24" cape :eek: The ranch he came from hired new help and the guy cut EVERY ONE WRONG!! Now I could sell them my 24" capes but why??? This ranch brings me mucho business and i'd rather help them then hurt them. They like their original capes.......nothing gaudy, just a quick fix and add $50 on the bill. This took me 15 minutes max today and I don't have some pre-fab $114 gadget hanging out and I have about $1 in materials. I have another one for this ranch I am mounting tomorrow, same wrong cut, will use the same tecnique but go a different shape, size & color with the fix so as my work does not look "cookie cutter" I make it very small and it blend it in.

[​IMG]

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

That might help the brisket, but that cape is nasty clear to the white patch. Common in late winter around here, seems all the deer have destroyed their capes by now.

10. cool why to cover damage Michael p. i like trying new things on mounts customers love it.

11. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

I tried the pre-made habitats, but they are fragile and don't work on everything.
    I like MP's DVD and you can apply these techniques to all sorts of needed fixes.

BTW that damage looks as though it was dragged to cause that damage.

12. cool problem solving

13. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

\

Nice Michael P. What forms are those? I know you have used quite a few Coombs in the past, but these dont look like Coombs. GReat looking mounts though! Just wondering why the change?

14. TNdeer

TNdeer New Member

X 2 on what MP said. This was maybe 10 bucks worth of materials and 30-45 mins tops to CUSTOM make.

Attached Files:

15. TNdeer

TNdeer New Member

another pic of same deer

Attached Files:

16. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

MP, I like you ideas with the fixing spots like that with rock work and stuff, but I dont really care for that one you posted. I think its kinda small and in the first pic looks kinda like a growth or something. Like I said the idea is great but that I dont like so much.

17. michael p.

I would tend to agree with you there Keven.....I would MUCH rather go with something a little larger and more detailed........but as I stated in my original post these guys want "regular" mounts and their skinner cut them short. I am even patching in hair on one. I just go with what they want :) LOL

Please don't laugh at this "excuse", but it's the truth. I am VERY A.D.D. and get bored to tears VERY easily. I like love Coombs forms but simply get tired or distracted mounting on the same mannikin so I will switch up. When I go to shows I will buy from different companies and change the forms to how I like. This year I ordered a few more McKenzies because thats where my vibe took me, the next it may be HQ's, the next maybe Research and so on. When I get a deer in I automatically get a picture in my head of the form for the mount and go with that.......I even have one that i ordered today with a 25" neck, I know I'll have to beef up the face quite a bit but in my mind that's the mannikin I see this deer on.

Ii know i'm weird......but it keeps me from going crazy.

Hell, you oughta see my glass deer eye collection!! :D LOL Damn near a different style in every mount.....keeps me from getting bored :)

18. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

i like that idea. will definitely think about that if iever get another short cut one.