1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wife's Deer...critique

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by uzabow, Jan 12, 2011.

1. uzabow

uzabow New Member

So, my wife has watched me work on some animals and finally one day decided that she wanted to try it herself. So, we got a set of antlers and a cape and she went to town....all by herself. I wasn't allowed in until she was completely done (minus finish work). Here is her result so far........What do you all think?

Attached Files:

2. uzabow

uzabow New Member

more

Attached Files:

3. uzabow

uzabow New Member

more

Attached Files:

4. uzabow

uzabow New Member

more

Attached Files:

5. uzabow

uzabow New Member

more

Attached Files:

6. uzabow

uzabow New Member

another

Attached Files:

7. uzabow

uzabow New Member

Last one

Attached Files:

8. uzabow

uzabow New Member

Things I see.....(maybe can't tell from pics) Briskit is a touch off center. Too many holes in her ears and she didn't fix 100% perfect so some bondo leaked through. Eyes need to be rotated (looking) more forward a bit. Over all.....I told her it was a great 1st deer and she should be proud of it. She can't wait to do another.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Doing another, and another, and another,, without some lessons in between,, is kind of expencive just for practice. Have her watch Rick Carters DVD on Whitetails BEFORE she does her second mount.

10. at least you can getyour wife in the shop to help.

11. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

What 'T' said, but in the meantime have her card those ears and make adjustments to the eyes...

12. One eye definitely looks more open than the other, and their focus looks weird.
    The ears a little ragged too.

Did he have that roman nose to begin with?

13. uzabow

uzabow New Member

I told her about the eyes. The roman nose was indeed part of the deer when it was killed. We had pictures and she wanted to add it back in. The ears....well, it was already raggy like that because it is missing parts and had cuts and scars....he was a fighter. There are things to work on but I think her second will be much better. The whitetail video is a good idea.....also gonna try to find something in Mule Deer.

14. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    Tom Wiekum from Cheyenne, WY has a good Mule Deer video. He does very well on anatomy.

15. my two cents and that's what it is worth, the bottom of the nose where it meets the bottom lip looks off, but overall nice job, I have watched the Rick Carter DVD amazing is all I can say