1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Charr, Dolly Varden (southern).....(Salvelinus malma lordi)

Discussion in 'Fish Reference Photos' started by Joe Simmons, Mar 16, 2007.

1. does anyone have any pictures of a fall colored dolly varden? thanks

2. Charr, Dolly Varden (southern).....many color differences

Caught some nice big dollies on the Kenai River recently.....realized there are not many pics in the reference section. I went back several years and pulled out a myriad of southern dolly varden with some pretty different color and patterns. These first fish are ones I have taken in Quartz Creek a small upper tributary to Kenai Lake. Many of the dollies spawning get very dark in this water....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is probably the most extreme for darkness.....

[​IMG]

And yet the biggest dolly I have caught in here was this monster who was very light....and green.....

[​IMG]

Also in Quartz Creek came the most aberrant colored dolly I have ever seen....it was near sundown....

[​IMG]

There is another little stream I have fished off Tustamena Lake on the Kenai Peninsula and the little dollies in there almost get a bluish tinge to them:

[​IMG]

Yet this same little stream produced this very lightly colored hen....

[​IMG]

These next two are definitely searun and come from the north side of Cook Inlet......big jaw on the male....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rest of these dollies all came out of the big water of the Kenai River....look at the size of the fins on these big boys....they are huge....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Different color patterns....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These last to toads were caught within a few feet of each other about 15 minutes apart.....the second, with multiple pics, is probably the largest dolly I have ever caught....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first pics were in the shade on a partly cloudy day and didn't do justice to the fishes belly color.....these last ones were with some light on it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all those variations it really makes me appreciate the artists you are.....not any easy task to reproduce....particularly if you don't have good pictures.

Brian