1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

You Dont know JACK!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by deerhunterdon, Jan 12, 2011.

1. deerhunterdon

deerhunterdon New Member

Mi
    Got a cape from Matt, actually 2 capes, last year, mounted those up for practice. Got a few more capes , Man this isn't hard at all. I had some problem with my earlines drumming but everything else not too bad. easier than I thought. now bought green capes , trying my hand at fleshing and splitting lips, eyes, ears . now I did this for a Taxi 20 years ago and it didn't seem that hard, I figured Ill remember OK. apparently it takes more time than I had for muscle memory to kick in. LOL. Holes , holes holes! In my opinion, which I'm a newbie, The biggest factor in a great mount is hide preparation. Now I'm getting better mind you, just slowing down helped a ton, finding a good system, as in a beam, knife , fleshing horn, etc is a must. But at the least you gotta be able to have a good foundation and that's having great fleshing and hide preparation, if you ain't Got that, you don't know JACK ! LOL. Matts capes were so nice they almost put themselves together.

2. Guerra

Guerra New Member

Try fleshing a Fox.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

Thanks Don, I am glad you like them. Fox are easy on a very stiff wire wheel I have. They take about 20 min, and they are clean as a pin.

4. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Don, watch the fleshing videos on www.helpinghandhangers.com that should help you with your fleshing. I do fox,coon and anything similar to those on a wire wheel, also. Works great

5. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

That's good advise right there!! I watched that very video before I did my first deer. That guy makes it look easy...... one giant hole that used to be a deer cape later I learned to slow down and take my time, but theres a lot to learn from that video, and its very well put together.