1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

leather question.........just curious

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hounddoggy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

After gainning a little and i stress little experience with tanning, i wonder where the different tans come from. I wonder if, in the leather industry, there are different recipes for tans depending upon the use of the leather. Tans xxand x provide this type of finished product while rr and r provide this type. I know this is a taxidermy site but was curious if anyone knows. I have witnessed differing results from the few tans ive tried. Some, i feel, do indeed make leather but it seems to be a leather that isnt taxidermy friendlt. A coarse less stretchy leather has its place for sure. I dont know -just got curious. If i ever go into making baseball gloves i have an idea of a good tan. I have found a very taxidermy friendly tan(stoked about that)i find different tans to be very interesting. Any thoughts?

2. Download the leather technology bluebook from BASF this will give you some insight if you are prepared to spend the time to read it . There is a good book but have forgotten its name , its cover is brown , yellow text on the front cover and the author is Churchill , When I find my copy will post its title if someone doesnt beat me.

3. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

You would'nt tan a cape for mounting the same as you would a cow hide for shoes uppers. Likewise you would tan leather for the sole differently..

There are a wide variety of different tans, procedures and end products..

Honeybun tans, on the other hand, aint worth a crap.. ;)

4. The different process's for different leathers will make your head spin!

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

My G G G Grandfather ran a Tannery in the 1850's - 1870's.........
    I would be very interested in knowing how He ran his tannery here in Georgia....
    I've searched but I haven't found any information about this..........Im sure theres some somewhere though.........

6. Tom, I know there's a tanning section in one of the Foxfire books, I'm guessing it's pretty accurate, I always wondered what the whole process would have been like too.

7. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

very interesting stuff.............well the last thing i need to do is jump into that. I will read on it all in my spare time, what little there is.