1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Retan Krowtan with Trubond 1000b

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by wildthang65, Jan 15, 2011.

1. wildthang65

wildthang65 New Member

In the the past, I have tried Krowtan with not alot of success with stretch and pliability of the skin. I recently tried Trubond 1000 and 1000B over the top of a Krowtan cape and received excellent results. I had left over skin from a deer mount and the skin broke very soft with minimal work. I am very pleased with this product. I used Krowtan in the past because I could use a pressure washer to flesh the capes and to hopefully make the skin very pliable, but I was disappointed. I used the Trubound 1000 and 1000B and it made the skin very soft and had leather like qualities. I do have a fleshing machine that I use as well. What is anyone else's input on crossing these 2 products together?

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Expensive pickle...

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

::) ;D

4. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    imagine that, George and a Krowtann post....like peas and carrots. lol

5. George

It was ACTUALLY a Trubond 1000b post and I never said a word. If I was going to Krowtann a hide, I'd Krowtann it. If I was going to Trubond 1000b hide, I'd have PICKLED it.

6. cyclone

Well then, what's the problem? ;)

7. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

WT65, what these gentelmen are saying, is that the first product you mentioned is only a pickle.

The TB1000 actually tanned the skin. They are also saying that it is cheaper to buy acid to make a pickle, than to buy a bottle of the first product you mentioned.

8. cyclone

Somebody said that? ;D

9. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I can get a stretchy cape with a Krowtan.............
    And Im certain I can get a stretchy cape with the Trubond 1000.....
    And I dont have to mix them to achieve this............ but that's because I know how.........
    If your not getting a good stretch with the KT then its something that you are doing not the product...........

10. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

salt dry rehydrate(fully) pickle shave neut. tan with trubond 1000- save yourself the headaches and science projects. Tryit........ill buy your jug if it doesnt work for you like it did me. If i can tan consitantly and get great results with trubond-anyone can. end of story

11. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

oh yeah and about getting stretch with krotann, well, i cant speak for krowtan but trubond stretched a gazillion times better than two other tans ive tried with the same process.

12. wildthang65

wildthang65 New Member

Here is my question: What would be the best method for tanning with Trubond 1000, which would still allow me to use my power washer for rough fleshing without getting any hair slippage?

13. George

That's an interesting question. I've never heard it addressed, but I know that power washing produces heat (simple physics). Because it does produce heat, there should always be a chance of slippage in capes that are rough fleshed with water. In that light, I say you should ALWAYS use a good pickle before tanning with anything.

Now hounddoggy is ate up with TruBond, but his past adventures leave me a bit suspect. I have no idea how much "stretch" it produces, but I know that the Krotann hide I got in seemed to have exceptional stretch (since it IS a strong pickle to begin with, that should be a safe choice). I'm really not sure I'd ever use JRTS as I do now (without a pickle) on a pressure washed hide. I'd just feel better with a strong pickle first.