1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rehydration

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Double_D, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Double_D

Double_D New Member

I got a Guy bringing me a buck that another taxidermist in the area really messed up. I feel bad for the guy it just sucks when you kill a nice trophy and want it to look good and then sombody screws it up but oh well nothing i can do about it. i was just wondering how to rehydrate the skin with bondo in the ears? will it even make a difference? and how much should i charge for a thing like this i would like to do it for as little as possible since he already had to pay for it once but i gotta make something off it. can anyone help me out???

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Double D Taxidermy

2. bowhunr

bowhunr New Member

I would suggest to him that maybe he could provide another cape or you could provide one for him and remount it. Trying to rehydrate it to the point where you would be with a freshly tanned hide is a pain in the butt and might not turn out after you've spent all that time trying to salvage the original cape. If the mount was bad so might the tanning job and the hair might slip when you rehydrate. I've done a few remounts for people and always used another cape (either their's or mine). If you do a good job they will be more happy to see that, then worry about the fact it's not the original cape.

3. R. Follis

R. Follis New Member

Why would you feel bad for the guy? he probably tried to save some money by getting a cheep mount done. Charge him what you would normally charge for a mount and add the price of a new cape, then remount.