1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

painting over apoxie sculpt

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by AUplantman, Mar 16, 2007.

1. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

How long do you have to wait after applying apoxie sculpt to begin airbrushing? also how long do you usually wait between colors of paint? I am using lifetone hydromist paint.

2. bdahyrt

bdahyrt New Member

i have only finished one fish so far, but here is what i did, i let the apoxie sculpt set up overnight, i also use hydromist paint and i did not wait very long too spray next color, i just got next color ready and started spraying, that stuff dries pretty quick, unless you mix retarder and thinner in it , then it probably won't. my fish turned out pretty good. what kind of clear are you using?

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You can paint apoxie sculpt before it sets up. I have done so in an emergency. I usually wait til it cures just to make sure I don't screw up my epoxy work.

4. visions of wildlife taxid

visions of wildlife taxid love me or leave me, just dont try to convert me

I usually let apoxie sculpt dry overnight, or worst case all day , apoxy in the morning and paint in the afternoon like 4 or so, as far as painting, you can put one color down right after the other with lifetone hydro mist paints, i use water base, and they go down just as quick as you can put them on, so dont sweat that, but i would give the apoxy time to cure, i always have multiple projects going on inside my shop so there is always something else to work on in the mean time, dont get in a hurry or you could end up wishing you would have waited, good luck, Russ

5. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

thanks guys! I apoxied last night and will start painting this afternoon. Hope it turns out ok.

thanks again
    Ken

6. John T

John T Glad I called off work this day!!!

The longer the better but you can paint before it is completly dry.

7. shaneb

shaneb New Member

Painting over wet apoxie is one thing, but clear coating over apoxie is another. Let some apoxie dry for three hours or so once. Painted it, then clear coated it. Next day the clear was all cloudy where I had done the apoxie work. This was Lacquer based though, might of had something to do with it.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Did you flash coat 1st? I have painted and glossed wet apoxie sculpt w/ no ill effects. As I said earlier, I try to avoid doing it. Sounds like you either layed the gloss too thick, layed a heavy coat w/o a flash coat, or your paint or epoxy had moisture in it. some people mix water w/ their epoxy to keep it from sticking to their hands, and I can see where that might cause a problem as well. Maybe I have just gotten lucky, I had better not push my luck. 12 hr cure from now on! (Unless I'm in a bind, lol)

9. Apoxie cures or gets hard though a chemical reaction, it doesn't dry. Therefore sealing with paint will not effect it. Just be careful you don't physically mess up your apoxie work while handling.