1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Africa Sculpture..Work In Progress

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Lou, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Lou

Lou Modern day Mona Lisa :-)

PA
    Started sculpting this a few days ago. I'm planning to eventually sculpt in a leopard laying across the top. The elephant will get it's tusk and trunk after the remainder is finished.

I'm not real sure what to do with the continent? I think it just looks to plain...

First Picture:
    [​IMG]

Second picture, taken last night. Zebra is started but is just roughed in.
    [​IMG]

2. Oceanway99

Oceanway99 New Member

you could put the major rivers in or the different country boundry lines to break it up some.....kind of more map looking...

3. cool

4. fishmaster

fishmaster Well-Known Member

Just and idea. Put some tracks across africa of the different animals. It would break up the surface.

5. I would definitely outline the different countries, or maybe even paint them on the finished sculpture. The 'continent' right now just sort of looks like an amorphous blob with animal heads on it. :p

6. I would also put in some mountains where they belong.Looks awesome with the wildlife.

7. Mountains! EXCELLENT idea Silver! I 100% agree some topography to break up the solid shape would REALLY just MAKE this piece come alive!

8. Lou

PA
    Thanks everyone. I decided to re-do the zebra. It was a little to big for the piece. I'll def add those suggestions about mountains (topography), rivers, and boundary lines.

LOL, I was thinking because no one was responding that maybe it looked like crap and no one wanted to say so... ;D

9. Why think that way,that is a beautiful piece of art,I'm sure someone would say if they thought it looked like crap,but they won't because it doesn't.NICE JOB !!!!!

10. I support your decision to down size the zebra. Turning his head outwards a bit, too, might help. Notl ooking completely forwards, but out a little.

11. Lou

PA
    Has anyone here ever used a foundry for pouring a bronze? What prep work needs done or can you send the raw clay piece? I was thinking about making a cold cast but I've never hot bronzed anything and I'm interested in trying it.

12. give snowberger a call ,he can tell you all about it.

13. Lou got skills !! Nice work....I didn't know you did that stuff.

14. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

Wow that's fantastic. Can't wait to see how it progresses. =)

15. Lou

PA
    Did some more work last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bwana

Bwana New Member

Iowa
    Really NICE!!!

17. irishme

irishme New Member

;) very cool
    show when it is done yes?

18. Excellent,excellent job,beautiful piece of art.

19. dhart

dhart Active Member

Interesting

20. Updated pics?