1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A 1992 Alum Tanned Lifesize Caribou

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Avianiac, Jan 22, 2011.

1. What is the probability after relaxing an alum tanned lifesize caribou skin from 1992 will hold up. I have contacted Ben Zuke of Modern Fur Dressing. He explains the skin sitting for that length of time will have acid rot and may destroy the skin once its relaxed. The fibers will generally break apart, most noticeable around the lips and around the eyes first. Does anyone have any suggestions to relax the skin in hopes to saving it.

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

In my opinion I doubt that a almost 20 year old alum tanned skin would hold up to hydrating, from my past experiences with even younger skins, I would suggest that you might take a sample of skin that would be unnoticeable and test it, and if it is rotten there is no way to stop or reverse it, test a piece miracles do happen.

3. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Dont do it. I havnt had a lot of experiance but i have rehydrated a few only a couple yrs old and they fell apart..a badger and an antelope..

4. Depends on who did the tanning. I have rehydrated some that were 30 years old, tanned in Longmont CO and they were fine. the trick is to not allow them to soak and soak. wet them down with a damp cloth soaked in salt water. but you do need to have your form ready to mount on or close to it.

The thing with old alum skins is the oils allow them to break down, with the new modern swabbing oils we dont know yet since they have not been around long enough.