1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thaw time

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by D.W.M., Jan 23, 2011.

1. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Is 10 hours enough to thaw a cape with the head still in? Actually its the whole skin.

2. Heck

Heck Active Member

Really??? A little common sense goes a long way.

3. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

yeh just sit it outside in the sun

4. Depends on what it is but I'd say at least 24hrs. or more, just keep checking it.

5. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Thanks adbrooks.
    I just thawed one overnite for about eight hours and it was still partially frozen. Like it would thaw out enough to work on in a couple of hours with the skull in it. As far as sitting it out in the sun I live in Michigan we won't see it until spring wise guy.
    Heck there is a fine line between confidence and cockiness. I think you crossed it.

6. I put them in the fridge so it takes a little longer that way, but seems safer to me. Like I said just keep checking it, as soon as you can work it, do it.

7. 10 - 15 hours usually works for me. I usually get started before all the heavy frost leaves.

Shane

8. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

I usually let mine sit in the heated garage for 24 hours (usually around 55 degrees). You really dont know unless you keep checking on it. Alot of times the skin, face, ears are all thawed but the neck is froze so it takes some extra work around that area.

9. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Thanks Shnne and adbrooks. I've thawed them with the skull in a few times I just forget how long it takes. Thanks for you answers. I'll take it out before I go to work in the morning and work on it when I get home if its thawed enough.

10. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Yep Shedego ,the bottom of the neck and jaw usually are still frozen. Its hard to time things sometimes. Was trying to time it so I could work on it after work. Dont want it to go back into the freezer with the skull and horns I'm out of room.

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i pulled one out of the freezer this morning. i want to start work en on it this tuesday. it still hard as a rock. its in my heated basement so I'm sure it will be ready by then. thats a lot of hours.

12. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I caped one out last week and believe it or not I timed it, the thing was frozen solid, I brought it into a room at room temp. 1500 hr. and started skinning at 0900 in the morning, a little frost around the neck, I had it skinned out, turned split and fleshed, and in the pickle by 11:30 so I let it thaw 18 hours at 20c you want to thaw in the least amount of time for the least amount of problems, as the first to thaw is the face and ears and the shoulders and leg portions, the last is the neck, Even if there is a little frost around the neck give her!

13. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Yep 10 hours later the neck is still frozen. Boy its a good thing I dont have any common sense, It wouldn't be thawed at all. Maybe I should leave it in the outside in the sun (LOL).

14. Heck

Heck Active Member

Well lets see..... you left one out for ten hours and it was still partially frozen???? Recon it may take a couple more hours??? C'mon people, use your brain a little bit and you SHOULD be able to figure SOMETHING out on your own!! I understand that there are some questions beginners should be asking, but how long to thaw a cape???
    What is the temperature in the area you are attempting to thaw it??? Is there a heat source in that area that MAY be moving some air around??? How much flesh got left on it before it was frozen...There are a few variables that one has to consider, AND you still won't be able to nail down a time on "How long does it take to thaw a cape". It takes as long as it takes! Better yet, it WILL NOT take as long if you throw it in the microwave, put it on the meat setting!! I'd say 20 minutes should do it!!

Now I'm mad because you make me sound like George!!

15. D.W.M.

D.W.M. New Member

Well if it it bothered you so much skip the post, If you had no input other than to be rude skip the post. If you didn't want to reply which you didn't with any thing other than being rude. If you actually read what I typed I thawed one for OVERNITE FOR 8 HOURS just like the first post you probably didn't read it before you spouted off. I HAVE LIMITED TIME TO WORK ON IT THATS WHY I POSTED IT.You know if your going to be rude you should expect that people will be rude back. The microwave comment is stupid Smart guy its the same kind of stuff that started the whole thing. Nobody made you the "should it be asked or should it be not asked police" so if you didn't like it than ignore it and go about your business and stay out of mine. George isn't as rude as you are by the way and normally has a point. Go find another post and someone else to be rude to.

16. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Sometimes they take longer than others. I also put them in the Fridge. It was -5 at my place this morning, so it would never thaw in my garage! I started skinning heads out as soon as I take them in this year because I hate dealing with thawing them out. Of course I am not taking in 100 heads a year either - yet........Maybe someday.

17. Heck

Heck Active Member

D.W.I. you continue editing your posts....why, common sense kicking in??? Brain thawing out after 10 hours??? You started out at 8 hours, then you went to ten??? Do yourself a favor and set a stop watch next to your thawing hide and hit the stop button when it is thawed. THEN write down that number, this would be the time it took to thaw YOUR hide.

Here's your sign.

Taxidermy is an ART that does take a good bit of common sense (and time). Maybe you should stick with your day job, that takes all your time and which does not require much brain power evidently.:D

It does not bother me to help anyone I can, when I can, by answering a question with a valid answer. Your original question was unanswerable with the lack of info. With this said, learning something on your own, with some common sense carries a bit more satisfaction, I guess you will not get the satisfaction. You want all the answers NOW. Good luck with that.

18. Hi Heck,I was just wondering about one of the responses on this matter,I saw where one fellow said he thawed it ,skinned it,turned everything,fleshed it then put it in pickle.Should a person salt it for a night first or not necessary.

19. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

I always like to hang them up in the shop to allow better air circulation around it AND they seem to thaw quicker and more evenly. I have thawed one in less than 8 hours by putting a box fan blowing on it while hanging.

20. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

what AU plant man said

also ill add that i once worried to death about them. I leave in in the shop for atleast a day. The local processors freezer freezes them crazy hard. ive left them for two days and they still had ice. NEVER start on them while they are frozen even a tad cuz you will cut holes. some swear by fleshing the ears and turnng them first as they thaw quickly. ive done it both ways with no issues. I usually flesh the body and salt. then lay the cape on a rubbermaid lid and do the face.