1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Closing shop, It was fun while it lasted...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by JLW, Jan 24, 2011.

1. JW

JW New Member

Some great advice and like everyone else, I quit because of my local gov. job, had twins, adopted a child in need. I just felt overwhelmed and taxidermy just wasn't any fun. Mostly because I didn't have time for it. After five years of raising little ones and getting a little closer to retirement, I decided to get back into it. I do it part time and have a steady work load. My business has been growing slowly but that's good. I have less than five years to retire from my full time job. Guess what my next full time job is gonna be ? Yep...taxidermy. Its just a plan and it seems to be working. I have to agree with everyone, once a dermist, always a dermist.

Best of luck in whatever you decide!
    JW

2. Smeja

Smeja New Member

Everybody that's in wants out and everyone that's out wants in.

3. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Sort of like being hooked up with Pam Anderson, I imagine

4. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

JLW, I quit for the same reasons some of the guys have posted - government job (State of California) and raising two kids. I stored all my tools and hid the forms in the attic. Paasche airbrushes today are $100 and I don't think I paid more than $45 back in the 80's! My daughter wanted to mount her first buck for her senior project and I had glass eyes and even the right size form in the attic. Now I'm getting all excited and thanks to the California budget woes and Friday furloughs I now have 3 day weekends to re-start the business part-time. In short, I'm glad I kept all my stuff!

[​IMG]

5. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Dang I have FOUR kids, I could use that gov job...wanna trade? Jobs though, not kids... ;)

6. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Government job ??? ??? Maybe I missed something but what does a govt. job have to do with it?

7. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

Did the same thing two years ago. Boxed up the tools for another day, maybe? It was definitely what "I" needed to do, plus my work was never anything but average at best. Good Luck

8. Bill Yox

Kevin my man, follow closely here...she said she did the same thing as others in here did...close shop. Her reason was a lucrative gov job, but she didnt sell her tools. Now that the gov job isnt that great, she has more time to resume taxidermy...and is glad she didnt sell her tools. Comprende?

9. Kevin Halle

I'm with ya Bill, thought I was gonna have to quit my govt. job :eek: LOL

10. Bill Yox

No, no...just dont sell your taxi tools either!!! ;D

11. Kevin Halle

LOL... I won't do that :) I will call you during the week though!